• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC Conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi All,

I am sure this has been covered before. Just trying to get a real idea of the cost and time involved in putting AC into a 2002. I am looking at roundies and would am having trouble finding them with AC.

Thanks,

Shenton

See my post here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,331516/highlight,retrofit/

If you find a car that you love and passes muster in all other ways, I wouldn't rule it out.

While it's substantially easier if the car has dead a/c rather than no a/c, that doesn't mean it's cheap.

I'm a big believer in a/c in enthusiast cars. If you really want it, don't let anyone talk you out of it.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I put it in mine last year from scratch and I can't remember exactly what the total was but I'd say at least $1000 all said and done. There is nothing extremely hard about it but lots of little fitment things that added up for me. Putting the condenser and fan up front was probably the most time intensive. If you go R134 as I did you will want as big a parallel flow condenser and electric fan as you can get up front. I went with an 11x18 one (have to remove bottom of passenger horn bracket to fit in) and 10" fan I got from nostalgic air along with a sanden compressor and the rest of the hoses and fittings and the electric fan wiring harness. Then you either have to pay to get your hoses crimped or buy a crimper. Need to find a solid evaporator and console which vary in cost depending on what you want. And, hobiedave (who you can find on this forum) has the compressor bracket you will want for about $100 or so. And you will need 2-3 cans of freon, vacuum pump and a/c manifold gauges to charge.

'73 2002 - "Otto"

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys! Ended up just buying one with an aftermarket system. I think it's fridgair...? (sp?)....

What you have is a Frigiking. Since your motor is all torn up, how do you know if it's any good? You'll probably have to evacuate and charge the system just to test it once you get the motor running again.

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles