• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on shop service please

landon

I am looking for opinions from shop owners and customers alike. TIA.

Last year I replaced a water pump and upon installation I felt that one of the bolts may be stripped. I hoped for the best but a small fluid leak developed around the pump. The fluid was thin like coolant but black in color. One drop per week. All fluids in the radiator and oil sump looked normal. I suspected that bolt and took the car to a local shop thinking a helicoil repair might be required. They diagnosed a stripped hole in the timing chain cover and since they had everything apart I had them complete the repair with a used cover that I provided. They provided gaskets and a front crank seal. $800.00 but all was well with the leak. This spring I start driving and the leak reappers. Exact same symptoms. All the players in this shop leave and form their own shop. They are mostly porsche / audi guys but work on any and all euro classics. The only game within 170 miles for me. I feel that one of the pump bolts is loose and I snug it up and the car is dry most of the summer until the leak reappers. I stop by the new shop and talk to the guys who did the repair to see if they can take a quick look. Make an appointment for 2 weeks later they say. OK I say and I drop off the car today for a quck look. give me a call with an estimate before doing any work I say. I pick up the car and they say the weep hole is leaking and the main seal is leaking and give me a bill for $90.00 for the estimate. I question the bill and the guy asks what do you think is fair - we just want you to be happy. I say I am not happy at all and he takes the bill back. I leave without paying and the guy is obviuosly pissed.

I do most of my own work but with this car and an 88' 325ix I occasionally need the talents of a good shop. I don't stiff people and never question the bill if the work is done well. I want to have a good relationship with a local shop but this seemed unreasonable. I also know I am technically dealing with 2 different shops hear. What do you think?

And what do you think about the leak? I do not see an active leak or drip from the main seal but am perplexed with the color of the fluid?

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Let's see. You take your car back for a service recall, have to wait two weeks for an appointment, and are then charged $90 for a dubious estimate?? You did yourself a BIG favor by running away. Please stay away. And I don't see any correlation between your waterpump leak and a main seal (as in crankshaft?). The black color could be some sort of external oxidation/contamination issue. A drop a week is not to be overly concerned about--check to find the exact source of your leak (weep hole, gasket, bolt head, etc).

fix it your self

i wont type out the book about yours, or the shops

misscommunications, your dealing with a 40 year old car,

there is a cost for time spent on diagnosis, usually waived

if the repairs are done then, .................. do it yourself

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

If the fluid is black your looking at powdered aluminum which means they didnt helicoil or another bolt is loose. As to the leak as said above not much worry. The autozone etc water pumps have a habit of failing like you describe. Even though they are mucho expensive the BMW rebuilds are better. If you dont drive alot the seals may reseal.I am curious you mention having to drive 170 miles for service? I have driven thru New Castle a hundred times and its ten miles from Glenwood. Another New Castle??

I have driven thru New Castle a hundred times and its ten miles from Glenwood. Another New Castle??

Yes, the shop is in Glenwood. The nearest independent BMW shop with any knowledge of the 2002 is in Denver. There are others in the area that will learn about the 2002 on your dime.

Interesting about the aluminum powder because one bolt still seems to be backing out. The cover was replaced with a used one so no helicoil was installed. I would expect to see green coolant at the weep hole but i don't.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

90 bucks for an estiate? You live too close to Aspen.

Thanks Jim and sooo true. Last time I was in Denver I stopped by Bimmerhaus to look at what I thought was a strut problem. They put it on a lift and took it for a spin around the block and convinced me there was no issue at all. No charge - just a thank you and compliments on the car. I wish they were closer by.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

I am looking for opinions from shop owners and customers alike. TIA.

Last year I replaced a water pump and upon installation I felt that one of the bolts may be stripped. I hoped for the best but a small fluid leak developed around the pump. The fluid was thin like coolant but black in color. One drop per week. All fluids in the radiator and oil sump looked normal. I suspected that bolt and took the car to a local shop thinking a helicoil repair might be required. They diagnosed a stripped hole in the timing chain cover and since they had everything apart I had them complete the repair with a used cover that I provided. They provided gaskets and a front crank seal. $800.00 but all was well with the leak. This spring I start driving and the leak reappers. Exact same symptoms. All the players in this shop leave and form their own shop. They are mostly porsche / audi guys but work on any and all euro classics. The only game within 170 miles for me. I feel that one of the pump bolts is loose and I snug it up and the car is dry most of the summer until the leak reappers. I stop by the new shop and talk to the guys who did the repair to see if they can take a quick look. Make an appointment for 2 weeks later they say. OK I say and I drop off the car today for a quck look. give me a call with an estimate before doing any work I say. I pick up the car and they say the weep hole is leaking and the main seal is leaking and give me a bill for $90.00 for the estimate. I question the bill and the guy asks what do you think is fair - we just want you to be happy. I say I am not happy at all and he takes the bill back. I leave without paying and the guy is obviuosly pissed.

I do most of my own work but with this car and an 88' 325ix I occasionally need the talents of a good shop. I don't stiff people and never question the bill if the work is done well. I want to have a good relationship with a local shop but this seemed unreasonable. I also know I am technically dealing with 2 different shops hear. What do you think?

And what do you think about the leak? I do not see an active leak or drip from the main seal but am perplexed with the color of the fluid?

My opinion as a professional mechanic is that you either need to learn to work on your own car, or realize that mechanics are not independently wealthy, and also need to make a living just like you. Work performed at one shop has nothing to do with trying to get another shop to fix your car for free.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind