• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SeanH

Thought you guys might enjoy this video of my 2002's first run in nearly a decade. Bought her as a student - black smoke uphill and white smoke downhill - and have since completed the world's slowest engine rebuild.

Here, at last, is the beginning of the end of that rebuild. Brakes were at about 10%, there was no exhaust past the header, no velocity stacks, no tach or speedo, no brains in the driver, engine was over heating, oh, and no hood, but shit, it ran!

My heartfelt thanks goes to Seattle's

Cohesive Garage http://www.cohesivegarage.com/

and Midnight Motorsport http://www.midnightmotorsport.com/

who took mercy on a hack mechanic in way over his head and helped me make this little beast make some fire.

Now the real project begins, eh?

Cheers!

Sean

Congratulations! Have you figured out why it's overheating yet?

I must admit, it is pretty fun driving around without a hood on.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

no velocity stacks

I forgot to add - by no velocity stacks, you meant "no air filters or velocity stacks"

The 'no air filter' trend needs to stop - I'm tired of seeing people driving around without filters - it's just asking for blowby. I was at Bug-o-Rama a few weeks ago, and this guy was taxiing over to the drag strip in his manx buggy - open stacks and sticky slicks. Needless to say, as he was driving over, he was kicking up a cloud of dirt and dust right into the open stacks. His engine builder told him to run filters, and he has now wasted $$$$ in head work because he didn't. Polished stacks are beautiful - when the car is parked. But when it's time to drive home, filter need to go on.

By the way - that comment was in no way directed at you... I don't know what your plans are, and I do know the excitement of starting a fresh engine or wrapping up a long project and taking it for a drive around the street before it is 100% assembled, I have done it before myself.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind