• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Distributor vacuum line routing

Tangmere

Hello FAQ'ers, newbie here with manual on the way.

I am having a stumbling problem with my newly acquired 75 Solex 02. I need to set the valves, adjust timing, reset the pertronix to make sure its on the money, have done plugs wires and cap and rotor so far. My question is, its falling hard on its face on initial acceleration, and i noticed that the distributor wasn't hooked to anything on the large diaphragm side, and connected to a sort of vacuum sending unit on the firewall, which wasn't hooked to anything. I have searched on the forum, but being relatively new to 02's i haven't been able to find what i am looking for. Where does these two ports plumb to? Both to carb vacuum? I think that might defeat the purpose, i suspect one is retard (like me right now) and one to advance?

Thanks for your response, this forum has been a wealth of info, and is the perfect example of what a enthusiast community is.

Yeah. You would benefit from connecting the advance side to the base of the carb, passenger side.. (right guys?) I can't help with which is the advance, but I'm gonna guestimate that its the nipple on the passenger side of the canister...??

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Ok, i left it attached to the retard side (no diaphragm) and it seemed to work better this morning. The car now has simply "ok" pull up to about 5500 rpm. I will try switching it and adjusting the idle and see where that leaves me. Any idea on the port that would be vacuum on deceleration?

Thanks again!

02Calif1976emissionsystem.jpg

you could have a EGR valve that's not closing tight

internally causing a huge stumble/vacuum leak

you can test for this by applying and taking away the vacuum to

the EGR and hear a click, as well as the motor will nearly stall

out when the valve opens

and of course a carb with inop accel pump, clogged idle/primary

circuit will cause your problem

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hmm.. ok, so looking at the diagram and my car, the airpump is not on the car. That being said, where would the EGR valve be located? I tried to follow the diagram, and i think i have it pretty much correct, looks to be a faulty accelerator pump in the ol solex... next question is, if the tag is broken off the top of the carb, how do i know which solex it is to get a rebuild kit, or is there only one?

Thanks!