• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need e21 help!!!!

zturnidge

We need to know what year and it wouldn't hurt to know USA or otherwise... plus model, since there were many different E21 cars produced.

Yeap that being said if it's a 320i then have the K-Jetronic checked.

I had a problem when the car heated and the electronic distributor pulse generator would shut down and I needed to wait like 10 mins or 15 mins for it to cool down but not as much as you are describing, and it never boged down it just quitted.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Guest Anonymous

sounds like fuel filer needs replacing, or gunk has clogged the screen of the in tank pick-up.

the filter is up under the rear right axle, if i recall correctly.

to access pick-up... remove rear seat. two large opposing screwdrivers to loosen it. check the bottom of tank for crud & water. i had to siphon out a bunch of it once.

Pump could be overheating and going out? Does it make any noise? They usually start whining before they go.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the Kjetronic system but I do know some of their components are prone to weird faults!

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

of this may help.....

1. As posted above, do check the tanks for gunk/water/rust - if you find anything that doesn't belong in there, there's a (relatively) easy way to clean the tank out. E21's actually have TWO tanks that straddle the driveshaft - they're connected by a larger rubber hose under a protective metal cover that crosses under the driveshaft. To clean the tanks, remove the fuel sender/prepump on the passenger side and the hose and cover between the tanks. Drain the tanks, rinse both out, and let them dry thoroughly. Clean the filter screen/sock on the prepump and put everything back together.

2. After checking / cleaning the tanks, replace the fuel filter.

3. Check the catalytic converter - if it's old and/or has been received an aftermarket replacement, the matrix inside may have started to break up - if so, the outlet is almost certainly plugged with debris (have had this happen - twice).

4. Sounds nuts, but check for a good seal between the dipstick and its tube - CIS cars are highly sensitive to vacuum leaks, and a bad seal at the dipdtick tube is a bit one.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

If you are cleaning the gunk on the tank drop the tank completely and clean it don't use solvents on it because all that stuff will end up clogging your injection distributor and that's not a cheap thing!

Always keep cars with K-Jet and other mech fuel injections above 1/4 of a tank.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978

i replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the in tank screen. still the same but i did notice that when ever it starts to die to oil light flashes.... ill check out the cat. im pretty sure its the original! im supposed to be moving today so if i cant fix it i might have to just sell it. which i dont want to!

Oil light flashes if the car runs at very low rpms while stuttering hence the pump pumps less and light goes on.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E23 730 1978