• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: 2002 roller for Church Youth Project, Chumpcar-Lemons

FeMan

Looking for CHEAP 2002 roller in the SE US!

I have volunteered to help a couple of young men at my church get into racing. They don't have a father figure in their lives to help so I will.

The decision to build a Chumpcar/Lemons racer has been made and I have secured a running parts car but it is a total loss/rust cancer victim. I have the time, fab skills, usable roll cage, materials and shop space, just not much money. I told them I would find a car and if they work on it, they can race it.

So we are on the hunt for any year 2002; a roller, need not run as we have other engine plans. For a free car, I have been assured by Carl Spackler, that on your death bed, you receive total consciousness.

I have truck and trailer, located in Atlanta, GA.

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Guest Anonymous

Good morning...this is Cathy McCause, vice president for ChumpCar, and I just saw your post about getting a race team together for your church. If we can be of any assistance, please contact me at cathym@chumpcar.com. We have a ton of races on the East Coast. Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks!

We found a 75 2002 close to us but we are a bit off on price but we remain vigilant.

Good luck with your sale!

what's your budget for a driver and your location

We are north of Atlanta.

Can you clarify your question?

Are you asking what we can spend on a drivable vehicle or what it would cost to drive with us?

If it is for a drivable vehicle; I am not interested unless it is so cheap we couldn't pass it up. The point is for the boys to put sweat equity in the project and learn skills from the build up. I have access (zero dollars) to a running M44B19 engine and tranny out of a 318is that was crushed by a tree during the tornadoes earlier this year. Our plans are to adapt as much of that vehicle into the 2002 as possible. Depending on the boys performance, this might also include the entire front and rear suspension assemblies.

I have DOM tubing, I have sheets of Lexan, I have wheels, I have access to BMW junkyard parts (lot owned by friend), I have time. The missing ingredient is a bunch of money but that will work itself out.

It may not be quite as exciting as an '02 w/M20 swap(same thing I'm doing for lemons) but don't rule out an E21, E28, or E30 from the start. I don't know how your '02 supply is over there but it might make it easier to broaden your search. A friend of mine runs a completely stripped e28 535i and he said the scale weight was ~2400lbs. They just won the first LeMons race at Oregon Raceway Park and they've done really well in chump car. It's about the most basic car you can drive too, no "tricks up their sleeves" just a bit of suspension work, a reliable motor, and brakes that work but happen to wear out extremely fast.

Good luck with whatever you do purchase, start a project blog for it!

It may not be quite as exciting as an '02 w/M20 swap(same thing I'm doing for lemons) but don't rule out an E21, E28, or E30 from the start. I don't know how your '02 supply is over there but it might make it easier to broaden your search. A friend of mine runs a completely stripped e28 535i and he said the scale weight was ~2400lbs. They just won the first LeMons race at Oregon Raceway Park and they've done really well in chump car. It's about the most basic car you can drive too, no "tricks up their sleeves" just a bit of suspension work, a reliable motor, and brakes that work but happen to wear out extremely fast.

Good luck with whatever you do purchase, start a project blog for it!

Sorry, I meant M44B19 from 318is as the swap motor.

We thought about an E30 but it has to be the most hated car in Lemons and pretty despised in Chumpcar. I know that Lemons will ignore E30's in lieu of other vehicles and it certainly gets no respect. That being said, it was originally my first choice as I have intimate knowledge from previous ownership. I would personally love it because I can drive the wheels off a an E30 and think it's a pretty easy car to teach.

I was given a E28 533i but it was in New Jersey and hadn't been driven in years. The retrieval process would be equal to purchasing a cheap car locally. I wouldn't rule an E28 out but I like the idea of a smaller car, less weight being easier on brakes, more fuel efficient, etc. If you compare E30 325i acceleration and top speed with an E28 535i, they are very similar but the E30 does it for less money, start to finish. Personally, I love the E28, especially a 535is as I owned one previously and loved every aspect of it. I felt like a solid block of steel that went like hell!

I started a 2002 build years back before I moved to Alaska and I gave the car away to a friend. I would like to finish one!

An E21, sorry but it is a pig. It took all the good from a 2002 and just added weight. I would take a free one but I can't get excited about it.

The other cars the boys have researched are the MR2, 83-85 Celica GTS (RWD), 85-87 Corolla (RWD) and then there is the Geo Storm GSI all the Honda mess. I can't get excited about FWD however.

Anyhow, the search continues!