• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing help please

323IJOE

Funny I just picked up a running clean bodied rust free 74 for 700$ just two weeks ago.

The rust bucket described in the OP is a parts car and worth 500 tops.

To repair the rust will cost thousands ( that's multiple thousands, not 1000 )

so how much was it worth to ship a clean bodied one again.

Charlie Mac in Sacramento.

My Blog

I'm an كافر

I looked at 6 "rust free" cars in the New England before I had one shipped from Colorado. Pictures always look good - everything I looked at was worthy of a parts vehicle nothing more. One was a 72 tii that was listed for 16,000 - I didn't even dare drive it. If it is from the northeast, wait until you see it in person before you make an offer.

Ya, i've pretty much decided its going to be a waiting game until i see one thats worthy from the right seller.

Good plan! Just check some of the prices for replacement parts before you pick up a beater. It's false economy to just look at original purchase price unless money is no object. Doing most of your own work to return brakes just to OEM condition will run you a $600-800. A motor rebuild could be about $4,000. Figure it is ~$500-800/day labor for body work so each panel that is rusted out will really ding you. Even if you do it yourself it is time consuming and tedious work.

I sort of disagree with why the prices of '02s have gone up or at least have additional info. Scrap cars are selling at a premium right now, $400 for anything including bent, rusted, and not running. This has moved the price up across the board for everything, not just '02s. There's also the cost and annoyance of having a car smog tested every two years. It isn't that expensive, maybe $70, and a couple of hours, but why do it if you don't have to?

I also disagree on adding a catalytic converter. This constitutes a modified exhaust/smog system and would be grounds for immediate fail based on visual inspection. The California law is that nuts: Even things that improve emissions are illegal. They can fail you for using an aftermarket air cleaner.

OT: I used to own a Datsun 510. If you want to see some really nutty stuff check out the prices on those. Most of them didn't even make it to the salad days of $400 for wrecks. I think about 5x as many were made '02s but your average owner beat them to death to the point where there was nothing left to rebuild.

Rick

OK so i just found a pair of 75/76 02's about an hour away from me for $1,200 one is a parts car and the 76 just had a rebuild done on the engine but hasn't run in a while so it needs a little work. This seem slike a much better price than the other ones i have found anywhere. only thing that bugs me is the big bumpers and square tails =( but for that price i can't complain.

OK so i just found a pair of 75/76 02's about an hour away from me for $1,200 one is a parts car and the 76 just had a rebuild done on the engine but hasn't run in a while so it needs a little work. This seem slike a much better price than the other ones i have found anywhere. only thing that bugs me is the big bumpers and square tails =( but for that price i can't complain.

thats the plan, I'm going to have to make two trips unless someone here know of a that trailer UHaul rents besides the stupid tow dolly so I can easily fit 2 cars on.

but heres a couple pics he sent me of the 76.

bmw007.jpg

bmw006.jpg

That looks good if you're seeking a project. If not, I'd get more serious about the pricier Malaga (burgundy) car above in NJ. Buy the best you can afford since you'll spend a fortune fixing up a project car.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I tried the guy in NJ at first he answered but then when i tried calling back again his phone wasn't in service any more, And I personally want a project car that i can rebuild with my dad and my buddy.

I already have a my daily driver Im looking for something a little more fun to drive, and as far as the restoration, the exterior would get a nice coat of fresh paint and rust be dealt with but the interior is a big worry right now, some new comfy seat(s) and some carpet and Im ready to roll. the project would definitely be more about driving the car than the looks and prestigiousness(?) of it all =)