• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water pump Freeze plug

dp

SO I ordered a replacement water pump thinking the water dump was a bad gland seal on the Touring. Lo and behold, when I removed the old one the bearing and seal are fine, but the freeze plug on the side of the pump had a hole corroded through! Anyone know where to source one of these plugs, or have experience replacing them? (s/b simple enough) Thanks in advance for your replies!

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!

I'd still replace the pump- and if the plug there is that bad,

there may be other corrosion issues inside...

one good reason to change your coolant every 2 years, right there.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'd still replace the pump- and if the plug there is that bad, there may be other corrosion issues inside...

one good reason to change your coolant every 2 years, right there.

t

Both observations are helpful ;-) I love "+2" commentary :-D

Decided its time to give attention to the touring after purchase two years ago, I'd simply been driving it occasionally. I use a proprietary (that means my personal secret ;-) )coolant flush which is very good at scrubbing buildup of dis-similar metals away, and has the added plus of revealing more serious corroded "weak spots." FINDing those weak spots during servicing is a good preventive strategy, and helps one avoid road-going surprises. The weak "freezeplug" appeared after running the cleaner through, I had to scrample a bit to get neutralizer into the system, but bottom line (after that unusual failure) all is now good. Better to have that "failure" happen in my yard and get fixed .... then I can enjoy no-worries cross-country trips somewhere like the San Jacintos in 100 degree temperatures (see snapshot below)

37186_168587299835216_156647081029238_464304_1218710_n.jpg

Reason for my post was I'd never seen that plug on the side of a water pump EVER fail...its likely that the car (before being scraped and painted in yurrop and then shipped to the states for sale) likely sat for a looong time, hence the weakening of that plug. And it seems the pump s/b repaired and kept for re-use as a spare, but in the meantime of COURSE I'll use the on-order replacement pump to put the lil cruiser back on the road.

------------------------

why list 'em...they're all projects anyways!