• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foundation for a Turbocharged S14-M10 Hybrid

kpolito99

Found some time to install the cylinder head and degree the camshaft.

Also completed the sensor mount for the crank ref signal.

Having some tooling fabricated to position the sync sensor in the upper timing cover.

Installed the distributor blank off plug from 02 Again. They make nice parts and the EDIS sensor mount was easily modified to hold an OEM BMW pulse generator.

post-1583-13667649416355_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649417992_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649419678_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649421361_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649422936_thumb.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which brand did you go with for the crank trigger wheel? Is it the VAC unit? Can you show close UPS? Also what chain tensioner and spring are you using?

Looking sweet. Great work and please continue to share your progress.

I'm planning on doing 2.3l with s14 block for my touring. Any tech tips are highly appreciated.

Keep up the nice work.

Le

I am using the VAC mount and trigger wheel. I fancied it better than the conventional press on and welded ring.

I will rotate the engine and capture some better images after I button up the upper timing cover. At the moment I don't want any assy lube to get onto the top of the cylinder head gasket and potentially contaminate the seal.

For the moment I am planning to utilize the factory remainder of the factory chain tensioning components. I have not experienced and tensioner issues in the past.

Thanks for the compliments. This motor should be pretty strong. The 2.23 liter versions I have built previously were pretty fun. I hope that I do not start to break driveline components.

Driveline is another thing....Curtis with his m20 turbo breaks e21 diffs on a regular basis. I've seen some guys go with e30 rear subframe and diff set up for our 02's. The e30 diffs I've heard are very stout and can withstand higher torque and HP.

BTW where are you located?

Thus far my driveline has been okay. I installed a Quaife in an E21 diff housing many years ago with larger inboard CV joints and all has been fine running around on 300 HP.

I have met and like Curtis. He is passionate about cars and motorbikes. Not intending to sound disrespectful but after seeing how Curtis drives it is no wonder that he breaks stuff on a regular basis.

You cannot triple the power output from the engine of a production vehicle and expect the driveline components to hold up when you step off the clutch at high rpm! I am sorry, but that is just a recipe for disaster.

If anyone intends to dump there clutch just to spin their tires and that is your thing, cool! Have fun but you need to seriously overbuild everything in between the flywheel and the tires.

Truth of the matter is that I have read about owners taking their stock BMWs to the track (e46 M3s) and shearing splines on their axles. BMWs are sophisticated cars by design that are road vehicles not drag racing machines.

I live in Tampa, FL and I have been tinkering with my 2002 since 1983. over the past 28 years I have upgraded from big side drafts, high duration cam and racing headers to standalone EFI, supercharging and finally turbocharging. Each step of the way I have exceeded the design limitations of assorted components and had to engineer improvements.

Which brand did you go with for the crank trigger wheel? Is it the VAC unit? Can you show close UPS? Also what chain tensioner and spring are you using?

Looking sweet. Great work and please continue to share your progress.

I'm planning on doing 2.3l with s14 block for my touring. Any tech tips are highly appreciated.

Keep up the nice work.

Le

You asked for close ups of the VAC trigger wheel. found some and took a couple more new shots tonight.

post-1583-13667649448353_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649450009_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649451677_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649453264_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649454927_thumb.jpg

Nicely done! That is a sweet twigger wheel set up. Also is that a magnet on the cam sprocket for the cam sensor?

Keep the info coming. Im enjoying every bit of your work!!!!

Holy toledos Batman!!!

Last night I made some excellent progress on fitting the cam sensor to the upper timing cover.

First I aligned the crank at TDC after having properly timed the camshaft.

Next I measured 120 degrees before TDC and rolled the camshaft back to that position.

I fabricated a transfer punch post that threaded into the hole previously drilled and tapped into the camshaft sprocket.

I used some double sided adhesive foam tape to shim the cover off the head.

I installed six long bolts through the timing cover to enable me to easily raise and lower the cover off the cylinder head to check punch height and not completely lose the alignment.

The compressive nature of the foam tape allowed the cover to move onto the punch with a slight blow from the rubber mallet.

I drilled through the upper cover to make a clearance hole for an AN-6 fitting.

Next I drilled out the AN-6 fitting and tapped it for 3/8-24 thread. Same dia and pitch as the MoTeC cam sensor.

I had to fabricate a 1/4-20 to 3/8-24 coupler so that I could precisely locate and hold the AN fitting in the proper location while I JB weld it to the timing chain upper cover.

More pics after I bond everything together. Taking the AN-fitting to a friends machine shop this afternoon to spot face some material away in order to provide clearance for a jam nut.

post-1583-1366764952509_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649526897_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649528444_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649530383_thumb.jpg

How does your wife feel about putting the engine in the hallway? I mean, I would do the same thing, even going as far to leave it next to my bed just to make sure that its ok, but I am not sure how long I could get away with that for...

How does your wife feel about putting the engine in the hallway? I mean, I would do the same thing, even going as far to leave it next to my bed just to make sure that its ok, but I am not sure how long I could get away with that for...

My wife is the coolest and unlike my ex-wife actually seems like she wants me to happy. I am building my engine in the the air conditioned comfort of our closet under the stairs. It is so frigging hot in the garage I cannot stand it.

Basically provided the engine is out of sight it is out of mind to her. I built a drip pan under my engine stand and keep a plastic bag over the engine to help contain the oil, assembly lube and assorted other smells.

Every evening after my wife an daughter go to sleep if I do not have any work related emergencies to resolve I roll out my mistress and spend a few quality hours wrenching before I go to bed.

About 7 years ago I converted this closet into a playroom for my then 3 year old daughter (sorta Harry Potter like space). Now my Blue Weimaraner has inherited the space and keeps watch over my creation 24/7.

I know, I know the border and paint color are kind of fruity. My sister helped pick the colors to decorate for my daughter's playroom when I originally built it and since she moved out I have not gotten around to repainting yet.

post-1583-13667649541787_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649543623_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649545346_thumb.jpg

Finished the installation of the cam sensor mount on the timing chain upper cover. The fixture I fabricated worked perfectly and has held the internally threaded AN-6 fitting in precise alignment with the threaded hole location I added to the face of the camshaft sprocket.

post-1583-13667649586709_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649588219_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649589932_thumb.jpg

MoTeC recommends setting the gap between the magnet and sensor to somewhere in the range of .030" and .060".

After I prime the timing chain tensioner it should be relatively easy to slip a feeler gage into the gap and tighten the cam sensor to the cover using the jam nut which is positioned on the sensor body inside the cover.

I thought this would be a lot tougher to setup, but as with most things if you think them through long enough an eloquent solution surfaces.

post-1583-136676495916_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649593234_thumb.jpg

post-1583-13667649594901_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1366764959644_thumb.jpg