• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 02 will it be exempt from smog next year

cluna

Guest Anonymous

Pretty sure the answer is NO, sorry to say - unless they have changed the law (which for the life of me in our effed up state I can't imagine they would give an opportunity to allow more "gross polluting" vehicles stay on the road). Pretty sure its 1974 and earlier.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

This is from the dmv.cal.gov website

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid

Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older

Diesel powered manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs

Electric

Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.

Motorcycle

Trailer

So the answer is no, you will need to smog test it.

Years ago California had the 30 year exemption for smogging cars. Once your car hit 30 years old, it was exempt from smog checks. Then the Governator signed a law that required ALL 1976 and newer vehicles to recieve bi-annual smog checks. Damn him and his cheating ass!

David G.
1989 Volvo 240 Wagon "Da Brick" Daily driver
1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R "Hitomi" Sleeping. Waiting for NEO VVL!!
1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" The never ending project!!!

I vowed to never again have a car that I had to smog... it is such a hassle if you want to do modifications, other states are way more lenient... If you plan on modifying it or just want to be rid of the hassle, trade it in for a '75 or older!

matt

1969 BMW 2002

1972 Chevrolet Nova

1965 Ford Mustang

1956 Ford F100

???? ???? Bobber

Guest Anonymous

Stupid laws. Maybe a change in area voting habits would help you guys.. Everyone should know by now that producing batteries for hybrids/electric cars creates more harm than good, but I guess as long as it cleans up terrain locked cities from pollution who cares right? Let us hope such illogical legislature stays contained in California.