• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these the correct rocker panel clips?

I did the same thing...tossed my old clips (most of them had broken tabs anyway) and bought new ones. The new ones did not hold very well at all.

I gave up, ordered 4 more of the metal fasteners that go on the ends of the rocker trim. I drilled 4 holes (2 per rocker) on the inside of the rockers (utilizing the holes for the plastic clips on the outside) to access the threads for the fasteners and tightened them down. The rocker trim is on there so tight now that I did not need the plastic clips at all.

post-216-13667642537606_thumb.jpg

post-587-13667642538531_thumb.jpg

post-587-13667642539529_thumb.jpg

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

I did the same thing...tossed my old clips (most of them had broken tabs anyway) and bought new ones. The new ones did not hold very well at all.

I gave up, ordered 4 more of the metal fasteners that go on the ends of the rocker trim. I drilled 4 holes (2 per rocker) on the inside of the rockers (utilizing the holes for the plastic clips on the outside) to access the threads for the fasteners and tightened them down. The rocker trim is on there so tight now that I did not need the plastic clips at all.

Now wondering if I should cancel my order for the clips. I was considering doing away with the rocker panel completely. I'm on the fence about the appearance of 2002's without any panels or door trim.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

Now wondering if I should cancel my order for the clips. I was considering doing away with the rocker panel completely. I'm on the fence about the appearance of 2002's without any panels or door trim.
did you leave the clips on and where did you put the metal fasteners: one at the front and one at the rear? no need for one in the middle? thanks.

PREVIOUS:

1979 Jeep Cherokee

1980 VW Scirocco

1983 Porsche 944

1986 BMW 325i

1999 VW GTI VR6

2000 BMW 323

2000 Porsche Boxster

2001 BMW X5

2003 Porsche 911

2003 Mini Cooper S

2005 BMW Z4

1974 BMW 2002

Current:

1995 BMW M3

2003 Infiniti FX35

Excellent, I know what I will be doing with my extra t-bolts.

To answer the questions. I used 4 metal fasteners per side. I could have probably gotten away with just 1 in the middle, but I had the extra metal fasteners so I went ahead and used them. The fasteners on each end can be accessed from the fender well. The 2 in the middle can be accessed from inside the car. I glued a plastic plug in the remaining holes to keep water out. The holes I drilled on the inside will be covered by the carpet yet I can get to the nuts if I ever need to remove the trim.

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

We just finished paint after removing all of the trim. We left the rocker panel though (I still need to reinstall it). Here is a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like without the trim.

DSC04449.jpg