• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door panels - interior repairs & material suggestions

73bimmer

Have a 73 02. The vinyl trim and thin padding behind has delaminated from the hardboard panel. it appears the hardboard is falling apart at the base of the door. Is there any information that speaks to how to remove the panel, remove vinyl, repair the hardboard and reinstall. I'm pretty handy but never did interiors before. Any guidance would be appreciated. Do not want to remove without know how to put back together.

Thanks

These guys make a laser cut marine grade plywood backing panel.

http://www.2002parts.com/html/door_panel_kit.html

Or you could check 2002AD, they sell them on Ebay, for $95 and up.

Which ever way you go, cut some plastic to be a water barrier between the door panel and the door. A lot of people remove the plastic installed by the factory, then they don't replace it, the fiber board panel gets wet and swells.

A inexpensive way to replace the plastic is to cut up plastic grocery bags and spray mount or use packing tape to cover the openings.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Actually, DuPont Tyvek makes an excellent moisture barrier. It's cheap and mildew/mold resistant as well.

I have the Ardvaark Luan Panels and painted them w/ 2 coats of Marine Varnish - pay particular attention to the edges.

I did them 8 mos. (and 3 seasons) ago before install, so they've had plenty of time for everything to 'stabilize'. I've had a hand in restoring several 50's era Cabin Cruisers and Runabouts, so am comfortable with the materials.

Combined with the Tyvek, I expect this to be a 'permanent' repair.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet