• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some help with driveline alignment (5spd+supersprint)

Hi everyone, I'm trying to 'clean up' my driveline from the PO installation, but I'm running into some difficulties. I think I'm running out of room between the 5-speed and the Supersprint headers. There is a ~3/8" spacer on top of the passenger-side engine mount to give the headers enough clearance over the steering idler nut. I think though, that this in turn lifts/tilts the transmission up and towards the drivers side, because the gap between the trans mounting plate (I use this one: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,354714/highlight,speed+bracket/) is too large for the height of the trans bushing and I need to use a few washers to space the rear of the transmission 'upwards' otherwise shifter support bracket is resting on the transmission mounting plate. I'll try to take a picture this evening, but my basic question is whether it will be possible to get everything lined up this way or how else do I get around the clearance problem between the headers and the steering idler? Can one safely grind the top of the idler down enough to make it all fit? Advice appreciated, thanks!

-Carl

well - I had to 'dimple' my SuperSprint headers to

clear my idler arm bolt-head also - and fabricated

a sheet metal heat shield to protect the plastic

bearing-bushings inside. That, even with all

new mounts. You end up with barely a pinky finger tip

space between the idler and header.

have funn

MY02motoroverheadc.jpg

02driveshaftandguiboinstall.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks C.D., I had found your driveshaft alignment procedure when searching earlier, but figured I would try and get the motor/trans situated first and then working rearwards shim the drivehshaft into alignment. Anyway, I guess I should probably get rid of the shim on the RH engine mount and solve the idler clearance problem, instead of the other way around, right?

-Carl