• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering putting my 2002 for sale

74AlpinaTii

Good morning. I was hoping to get some feedback about selling my car. I haven't been on the FAQ in several months and wanted to get some opinions. I purchased Bob Murphy's 2002 in August of 2008. Since I purchased the vehicle, Chris Willett in Las Vegas has kept up all maintenance and repairs on the vehicle. It's been a great car and I've had a blast driving it.

Recently, I've been toying with the idea of putting the car for sale. I really haven't had much time to drive the 2002 for the past six months and it's been sitting in the garage collecting dust. I am very torn on keeping the car and having it sit, or having it go to someone who may be able to enjoy it.

I wanted to see what other fellow 2002 owners thoughts were on selling the car. I also have no idea how difficult it would be to sell the car, or how much it is worth.. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

74 BMW 2002 Tii Alpina A4

75 BMW 3.0 CSi

98 BMW 528i

That's a great car. Very original - a real A4 system and turbo bits (instrument cluster and gas tank from what I remember). From what I remember when it was for sale, it garnered a premium. It also deserved it, as it is very original. And - seriously - perfect.

Some people might not like the mods - but I always did. Fantastic car.

PS - the mechanic that set up the A4 system on that car passed away a little over a year ago. Rest in Peace Mike Perkins. A real loss to the vintage BMW community.

What would you sell it for? I don't think you will get close to Bob's asking price in this economy. I'd just continue to drive it and enjoy it for awhile longer if I were you.

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Guest Anonymous

Very well done car as previously mentioned. It is a dilemma sometimes with a car rarely driven (ask me about my ALPINA Grp. 2 car that is in pieces in my garage going on its ninth year of "restoration" ... in addition to being a race car that is even less driven - best case 3-4 times/year). If you need to sell the car (for cash purposes or other) than figure a number - really you should know what you need to get for it to make you feel right. Put a number to it and put it out there. You will find out relatively quickly whether there is interest or not (both in the number and the car). Bear in mind that once its gone, its gone - although all the parts and pieces in that car can still be had albeit at a premium, it would take alot of time and money to put them together again. Inkatouring has his A4 Touring clone FS right now at $35k so that should give you some idea of where the market is (and granted the Touring is a different animal in that most either love em or hate em).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Obviously the market isn't the best to sell a classic car, but there will always be someone interested. I would be interested. If you could send me pictures and more info to silverbmw2002tii AT gmail.com that would be great!

Thanks

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

Selling a car can be a lot of work, but I personally believe in your case it is not going to be that hard. The car is well documented and it appears that you took it to the next level by actually driving it and sorting it out better than when you bought it. In addition, sounds like you are in the position financially, that you don't have to sell.

Pricing is probably the most difficult thing to do. You price it too high and you will exclude even serious buyers. Pricing it too low (or placing it in Ebay), is an invitation to the whole world - which will demand more of your time.

I would suggest a six month plan. with ads placed consistently every month in select places - including the FS section here. Once people realize you are seriously selling, someone will be seriously buying it.

FAQ Member # 91

I would like to know more about the car, since I have a 2002 that I plan to sell before too long. I'm not exactly sure how to price my car either.

One thing though: If the sale is not due to the need for cash, be sure to drive the car some before deciding to sell it. My cars are put away for long periods, and I wonder why I have them, due mostly to a considerable period when I not even seen a car of mine. After cleaning and driving one of these cars, I feel differently about their ownership. A really nice 30-40 year old car is difficult to replace, so give it some thought.

Nice car, Go out and make time to drive it! At least run through a full tank of gas and if you still feel the same sell it. if not keep it. Kingman and back might be far enough to find out why you picked it up in the first place.

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD