• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling My Car! (A nice 02 with all the rare goodies on it)

toddman

Some cars sell faster when they have a price tag plastered on the front windscreen. The fact that the 2 previous owners have chimmed in over on BAT, I thought more interest would develop. How many " in period" modified cars only have 2 previous owners that are alive and well. As Gary ( the original builder noted) all mods were done in period and inspired by racecars of the time.Stripes and all. Aside from the gold wheel centers - I would love to wind the gear box out and take x country drive with it. This car is begging to be driven. No mention of engine services due( water pump,belts etc),wheel bearings.A quick review of Kormann shows the transmission rebuild to deal with 2nd gear is not cheap? maybe gary the original owner would be willing to sort through it. Does Toddman have a phone # available. I'd like to talk with him about it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

M-Racer, It sounds like I offended you somehow by response. That wasn't my intention and please accept my apology.

My reserve on the car was $17,500.00. If anyone wants to make me an offer feel free to email me through the forum, or my personal email toddman@gmail.com

Thanks everyone,

Toddman

All it takes is money

M-Racer, It sounds like I offended you somehow by response. That wasn't my intention and please accept my apology.

My reserve on the car was $17,500.00. If anyone wants to make me an offer feel free to email me through the forum, or my personal email toddman@gmail.com

Thanks everyone,

Toddman

Thanks. Not offended. Just don't like to waste time. How serious is the transmission issue?

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

There are few left in the Bay Area who will work on those transmissions. We do at Casey MotorSports....

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi Tom.

I have not seen or driven this car, so I don't want to label this car as needing a transmission overhaul. However, if I were to buy it - I would opt to have the tranny done for piece of mind and get the purchase,initial repairs and updates etc all done in one swoop to ease the $$ pain in the longrun.Reading what you have about the car - does it seem logical to you to have the tranny opened up and inspect the syncros,2nd gear etc and go after anything proactively? Is there a parts issues with matching anything up?. I didn't see anything listed about "internal" alpina spec clutch parts. What updates are " in the spirit of the car" that would make sense?

We all have our own personal tastes.My hope would be to buy the car,continue its diligent care and find some more interesting Renn-bits that are period correct and make the previous 3 owners proud of its continued condition.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hi Tom.

I have not seen or driven this car, so I don't want to label this car as needing a transmission overhaul. However, if I were to buy it - I would opt to have the tranny done for piece of mind and get the purchase,initial repairs and updates etc all done in one swoop to ease the $$ pain in the longrun.Reading what you have about the car - does it seem logical to you to have the tranny opened up and inspect the syncros,2nd gear etc and go after anything proactively? Is there a parts issues with matching anything up?. I didn't see anything listed about "internal" alpina spec clutch parts. What updates are " in the spirit of the car" that would make sense?

We all have our own personal tastes.My hope would be to buy the car,continue its diligent care and find some more interesting Renn-bits that are period correct and make the previous 3 owners proud of its continued condition.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hello everybody! Just to refresh your memory, I’m Gary Hesse, and I’m the original owner/builder of this BMW 2002.

With regards to the transmission, this close-ratio 5-speed was purchased (used) through Hyde Park BMW in Los Angeles CA and was imported (certified) out of a BMW 2002 ti wrecked in Germany with 20K kM on it. I disassembled it to the piece, and after the whole enchilada was thoroughly cleaned, the aluminum parts were zygloded and all steel parts were magnafluxed. All bearings and synchros were replaced (along with gaskets). Any part showing wear or cracks from the inspection process were replaced also; so were some of the shift rod bronze bushings. It was assembled in a constant temperature environment so that no part temperature fluxuations would indicate specification out-of-tolerance measurement s (CTE variations).

I also shortened the driveshaft and installed the rear cross member according to BMW specifications.

When I and the second owner owned the car, the transmission performed flawlessly, as I would say that it would today.

You have always been able to ‘slightly beat’ the first to second gear synchros on a 245/5 CR gearbox if going banzai!!!!!!! Remember, these cars and the CR 5 speed were for racing. First gear was a starting gear and the gearbox’s advantage was to keep the engine in the power band while on the track (gears 2-5).

As I built this transmission, I preloaded (with shims) the lay shaft with consideration of the transmission’s expected temperature (coefficient of thermal expansion) expansion. Aluminum cases expand more than the steel gear sets, so preloading a tapered bearing makes no sense!!

As I have been told by this vehicle’s present owner, he also has a totally refurbished identical close ratio 5- speed transmission available to the new owner.

In the 1970’s and 1980’s, this car was (and is) period correct. It was built, with respect to my pocketbook, to the FIA Homologation Certification (as far as I went), of which I still have a photocopy!!

In the 1970’s, these BMW’s (race prepared) competed in the Under 2-Liter Trans Am Series in the US (U-2L) – many times run with the 5-Liter Trans AM cars.

A Datsun 510 retailed for $2k at that time , and you could get the parts for a full race engine, a CR 5-speed and roll cage and everything else for about $3K from BRE (Brock Racing Enterprises, a quasi-subsidiary of Datsun (now Nissan)). Many of these cars are not around as they have had their chassis’ raced to hell and are no longer road worthy.

The other competitor was the Alfa Romeo GTV, with either the single or twin spark plug configuration. Alfa parts were always about 2 to 3 times the price of BMW parts!!!

Today, you can race a BMW 2002 for a year in the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of America (VARA) for the cost of an Alfa GTV engine or transmission rebuild!!

I hope that this will shed some light as to what was going on in the 1970’s and early 1980’s.

Also, as a price reality check, when I came back to the US in 1974 and took this (almost) new BMW off of the blocks in my parents garage in Pasadena CA (after almost 3 years in the Viet Nam conflict), I bought a small house in San Clemente, CA, on a canyon with a backyard full of pine and eucalyptus trees with a view of San Clemente Island for $US 17K. I still have the house and its worth more than $US 700K today.

If you want a part of enjoyable history and want a BMW to be a part of it, this is a great deal. If you want to just watch your monthly bank/stock portfolio, get a good broker. You can’t take it with you, and as long as I’m still here, I’ll be available to help with you with the car.

I’m now 60 years of age, retired and a major cancer survivor (Stage 1, Phase 1 Cancer)! It’s all gone! I’d love to get this BMW 2002 (ti) with you driving it out on the track along with my BMW 2800 Alpina and recreate the early 1970’s track times!

As long as I’m still around, I’ll always be available to help the current owner obtain the maximum performance out of the vehicle and/or help any subsequent owner with the vehicle’s history.

Despite what anyone says, this BMW 2002 is period correct to the 1970’s, with the exception of the wheels and tires.

Gary A. Hesse

WINDNSEA

Congratulations! Todd it was great to meet you today. Good luck with finding your next BMW. I'll let you know about that customer's car and definitely forward you anything I see for sale out there that fits your wish list.

Cheers,

Tom Jones

66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i

Guest Anonymous

i am peter from switzerland and bought the 2002 that will certainly be used in historic rallying which is really big here (france, italy, germany)...i have seen a few 02's at the last 4 rally monte carlo historique i competed in (with italian cars)...

I was in the area Sunday and got to see this car in person. It presents rather well for being a ’70s build. There appear to be no hidden rust issues, a true garaged and well cared for survivor. You really don’t see ’02s in such wonderful period built condition every day. Todd was gracious and offered a test drive but I declined, as I was there just to take some mental measurements and pictures of how the Ti air cleaner is mounted, and feared anything happening while in my hands. After about an hour of chatting we shook hands and I parted for my parent’s house. When I got there I saw that on that Todd posted that the car is sold. He must’ve gotten the phone call right after I left. Todd congrats on the sale of this wonderful period built hotrod 2002!

Tom Jones

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...