• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major thanks to all

UROTRSH

This is my first post although I've been on here for months. I've had many many questions but haven't had to ask because I've found the answers I needed already on here. I bought a barely running 71 here in Georgia about 6 months ago and with FAQ's help I've installed and tuned a weber 32/36, fixed the timing, adjusted valves, installed a new clutch master cylinder and rebuilt the pedal box while I was at it. I've also installed new shocks and springs and also tightened and installed new bushings on my shifter platform.

This is the first car I've ever worked on other than changing brake pads.

I still have a lot to learn and many tasks still on my to do list but I've been driving it daily and so far it's only been off the road for a few days at the most.

Thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum as without it I'd still be scratching my head, trying to make sense of my Haines manual.

Happy New Year to you all, you've made 2010 an unforgettable year

Steven

post-18071-13667635927099_thumb.jpg

'71 2002

'75 2002

Here's some more pics of where I'm at with it so far. I've included a pic of my 75 that sadly became my parts car for the 71. It'll be my son's if he ever decides to take a break from his xbox and come work on it with me.

post-18071-13667635928095_thumb.jpg

post-18071-13667635929143_thumb.jpg

post-18071-13667635930185_thumb.jpg

post-18071-13667635931437_thumb.jpg

post-18071-13667635932482_thumb.jpg

'71 2002

'75 2002

Welcome! Nice handle BTW. (ahem)

My daughter is 17 and just sold her '76 auto. She loved it, but just not it's little quirks. She learned a lot of good car owner foundations in the year she drove it. It's a perfect first car. Well, and second, and third...

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Welcome! Nice handle BTW. (ahem)

My daughter is 17 and just sold her '76 auto. She loved it,

My 18 year old niece wants the 74Tii for college. There is something about our cars that attracts all ages.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Thanks folks, both of you have been very inspiring through this. That M2 swap is my ultimate goal but it'll be a few years before I have the cash, knowledge or space to take on something so big.

@Eurotrash Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes there mate, UROTRSH is my license plate and its always been my tag name online. Signed up before I realized there was already someone on here with practically the same.

'71 2002

'75 2002

Glad you find our recording of our obsessive/compulsion useful! ;) I just like to have fun with it.

I've loved these cars since I was a child and honestly thought I could never afford one. I started restoring vintage Lambretta's and Vespa's a few years ago and learned the basics of 2-stroke engines and panel beating there. I then got into riding dirtbikes with my kids and advanced on to 4-strokes.

About 7 months ago I stumbled on my '75 02 being sold as a fixer or parts car. Sadly its eneded up the latter, although its been invaluable for getting my 71 up and running.

From there it's gone from no clue about cars what so ever to a day and night obsession. The bikes and scooters were fun to learn on but they lack in the range that is needed to do a complete car resto. I've got enough on my hands with just one car to last me years.

When I first got the 71 running it was a little scary driving it. The timing was a little off, I was only firing on 3 cylinders some of the time and all bushings and shocks were shot. Doing 40mph felt like 80. Now with those replaced and the engine running smooth it's becoming more of an extension of my arms and legs in exactly the way they designed it to be.

I can't get enough of both tinkering and driving and again if I can say thank you because I'd have got nowhere without you guys.

'71 2002

'75 2002

Very nice car. But, it will look better and be safer with period correct 3-point retractable seat belts, I would think.

I believe the seat belts are original owing to the fact they were already in both front and back when I bought the car. It would seem crazy for someone to remove the three points and retrofit these I'd think. Forgive me if I'm wrong but it's a mod 71 and they still had klippan's then right???

I do agree that retractable belts would be safer.

I have a set of 3 point belts in my 74 that I've considered swapping out but I'm still on the fence.

'71 2002

'75 2002

The belts in the car now are actually 3-point but they don't retract. I was thinking in the event of a collision it'd almost feel like you wearing a harness. I'm interested to learn more about this if anyone wants to chime in.

'71 2002

'75 2002

Yes, but the webbing on those Klippans is old which probably stretched over time and lost its mojo. Threads also wear out. Modern inertia belts (73 and up) have built-in slow release features that prevent webbing from bruising or cutting your neck and other body parts. However, if you want to keep the Kllipans, they can be re-webbed using NOS/new webbing, or replaced with modern and safer kits. Email me if you are interested in refurbishing or retro-fitting inertia belts to your car.

The belts in the car now are actually 3-point but they don't retract. I was thinking in the event of a collision it'd almost feel like you wearing a harness. I'm interested to learn more about this if anyone wants to chime in.

On my recently-totaled Malaga 72tii, I had retractable 3pt seatbelts upfront, just like Al (bluedevils) is referring to. They were the very first upgrade I did to the car after I bought it years ago. I can't say whether they contributed to my walking away from the accident with only a heartbreak but, just in case....I am transferring them to my new project inka 72tii.

Welcome aboard. Participating in the FAQ multiplies the fun of 02ing. I love it here.

William

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken