• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater question

schliske

I have a '72 '02. I pulled the heater, did the refurb as per the faq posts. I went through this once before on my '70 '02 with excellent results.

This time it blows lots of warm air, but not hot. I was very careful about all the steps, new foam, caulk, cable adjustment, etc. I flushed the 320 radiator, the heater core, and everything else. It has the larger valve and it's wide open- I can slide a dowel right up through it. The water pump seems to churn away and I parked it on a steep incline and bled all of the air out. The thermostat seems to work the way it should. The '70 had a 32-36 but this car has dual Weber 45s. The metal bypass tube seems kind of small diameter, could this be a bottleneck? Does anyone else get the kind of heat that can properly melt your tennis shoes? I'm in Steamboat Springs Colorado and it's my daily driver, so I need it. Thanks up front, Michael

your engine thermostat dictates

your heater max temp output

install a NEW 'hotter' thermostat

your motor vapor, oil, coolent, carburetion,

MPG's will thank you. a properly running motor

is happy at 180*F - and your heater will be toasty.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous

One last thing. Shoulda done this while heater core was out of the car. Make sure your heater core is not blocked. With a garden hose and coupling heater hose, flow water in from one sied and measure the output on the other. Then reverse. Flow water from outlet to inlet and look at the flow. It should be the same and it should not indicate blockage. If so, you need to clear the debris or blockage. Even in a replacement core!

Michael...... it's your heater core ! I have built quite a few heater boxes now with the melt your tennis shoe results you are talking about. For real heat a great heater core is a must and then a super fan to finish your build. It was just in the teens here in D.C. with the wind chill factor and my 71 was Africa hott !!!

hth,

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

I had the same problem when I rebuilt mine this year. the large flap door was not closing all the way and causing the air to stay cool because one adjuster controls two cables. My adjustment had moved during the new cable install. Once it was adjusted correctly my car was warm and toasty. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/images/stories/faqs/heater_refurb/functional_cutaway_640.jpg a few pics from my rebuild http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m461/hobiedave02/02%20Referb/Heater%20rebuild/ I took my core to a radiator shop and they charged me 20 buck to clean it out in acid bath.

1972-2002 "polaris"

2000 M5 "Dieter"

2004 330i "ILKA"