• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle problem smog removal

RogueEngineer

I recently picked up a '76 2002 that seems to have had some of the smog gear removed already (those little bell things on the firewall were missing, plugs dangling) the car ran fine and idled well, no complaints. I finished the job today - removing the harness and the various connections around the intake manifold and fuse box. I then ran a wire from fuse 12 to the positive end of the coil.

However, the car is more difficult to start now and will not idle. I can keep it alive when a little gas but at part throttle it seems to stumble. Revving the engine seems smooth, however.

The distributor doesn't have any vacuum lines running off of it, so I assume it is the mechanical type.

Thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

you didn't say if the wire to the idle solenoid on the primary side of the carb was connected or disconnected. If that is intermittant the car won't run very well.

And, ... even though the 'nipples' are intact, at least, they should be blocked off. And, no matter what they removed, they should have left the vacuum advance. You say it is a mechanical diz but make sure. It could be a vacuum dist with the advance removed during smog cleanout. There should be no vacuum lines that are not plugged or plugged into something!

Pardon my igonorance - which side of the carb is the primary side? There is a spade connection disconnected on the valve cover side of the carb near the fuel pump. However there are no wires running loose that seem to connect to it. I believe I disconnected it when removing the smog harness and assumed it was apart of that whole shenanginary. Is this what you're referring to?

Also - there is a plug with a spade end that is disconnected near the dizzy on the backside of the engine pointing up - does that connect to anything?

Pardon my igonorance - which side of the carb is the primary side? There is a spade connection disconnected on the valve cover side of the carb near the fuel pump. However there are no wires running loose that seem to connect to it. I believe I disconnected it when removing the smog harness and assumed it was apart of that whole shenanginary. Is this what you're referring to?

Also - there is a plug with a spade end that is disconnected near the dizzy on the backside of the engine pointing up - does that connect to anything?

That's the one, you'll need to run 12+ switched to it. If you have an electric choke you can splice into that.

The other connector next to the dizzy is the oil pressure sender I believe. The wire for that should be separate from the smog harness (was on mine)

Gosh I really love this site. People helping people and good info. I need to remember this post for the car I'm building. I'll need to kno how to hook up that idle cutoff in a de-smogged engine. Thanks to the OP and the rest of ya's.

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)