• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overheating

Tom1

I have a 72 and it started overheating today. It goes into the red while I'm at a stop light or driving slowly. The needle starts going down if I rev it at the light or start driving faster. The radiator is full and the heater is blowing hot. where should I start?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to say that it sounds like an impending Waterpump failure from either a disintegrating seal, impeller or impeller vanes.

Best to tackle it now because if the impeller is disintegrating by bits, these could lodge in critical passages reducing flow once a new pump is installed.

I'd carefully remove the existing pump, keeping all the little bits of pot metal you may find (these were the impeller), and try to piece together the impeller and it's vanes from the bits, that will tell you if you have any unaccounted for bits still in the block or cooling system.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

It's not the radiator. Otherwise, it would heat worse under load.

Here's an odd one from the Nissan camp... The flange for the fan's just

pressed onto the shaft for the pump, and I guess it's possible for it to come

loose. Or the impeller could've come loose.

Otherwise, it SOUNDS like your fan's not working. But that's too easy.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL