• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poly bushings - most reliable fit/supplier

BWAutosport

I've combed through a few pages of threads and didn't find a specific answer, so I thought I would ask:

I know some (all?) poly bushings are difficult to fit just by the nature of the material, however is there a preferred supplier for these?

I know Ireland and BavAuto have them, and I can also fab my own from Delrin as this is for full race use.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Ian

1976 BMW 2002

1961 Austin Mini

1983 BMW 320i

I'm sure many here would agree that Ireland makes a great product. They are incredibly easy to install-especially after you coat them and the steel sleeve with the supplied grease. Grease makes them easier to install and prevents squeaking. The hardest part of bushing replacement is removing the old rubber ones!

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225

Ok great, that's what I was thinking.

I know IE is actively involved in the community and racing and just wanted to touch base with everyone to make sure.

Need to get the car ready for the Turkey Bowl at Summit Point, so time is of the essence. Can't be fussing with parts too much.

Cheers,

Ian

1976 BMW 2002

1961 Austin Mini

1983 BMW 320i

I put in the IE ones and love them. Super easy to install. I used a torch on the old rubber ones. Melted the rubber away on one end, the heated the metal sleeve intil it slid out, then the other side just falls out

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I have full I.E. poly bushings under my entire car, including the subframe mount inserts. Like everyone else has noted, the hardest part is getting the old rubber ones out. Installation was very easy. I think I had to use a piece of threaded rod and some big washers to press in my control arm bushings, but it wasn't bad at all. Consider your needs before going poly though. Is this a track car, or daily driver? If I had it to do over again, I would've went with new rubber bushings all the way around due to poor road conditions in Ohio. My car is SUPER stiff, and believe me, you feel every bump in the road, and CRINGE at every pot hole you hit, while praying the car doesn't fly apart. Something to consider.

This car is being built for vintage racing (as a rental) so a stiff ride and sound transfer is not an issue.

In addition to full bushing replacement it's getting a moderate upgrade in suspension in two way adjustable dampers and springs from Spax. Needed to refresh everything, can't afford a full coil over (and not necessarily allowed per rules) but didn't want to put stock kit back on.

So for now I want to tighten everything up, try out some new adj suspension and put some decent treaded rubber on it until I can build the engine up enough to compete in the full slicks run groups.

Keep up the input! Thanks!

1976 BMW 2002

1961 Austin Mini

1983 BMW 320i

Delrin is a good product to use for custom bushings on race cars. The only down fall is they don't last too long. I actually used to fab some for. Open wheels race team at a plastics shop I used to work at. They'd get maybe 3-4 races out of them, but they loved the firmness in their handling it gave them.

1972 '02 work in progress