• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine shake (video

Bimjam02

SO i get back home after a month of being gone for work and i go to start up my car and after a few tries and a shot of starting fluid she starts right up like nothin. the issue is my engine is shaking a lot at idle. i remember when i parked her a month ago i hit a bump kinda hard right before i got inside my garage and i thought i remember feeling a shake but i was in such a hurry i just shut her off and didnt take much thought into it. in the video its hard to see and it looks more shakey in real life but i figured it'd be a start. could it be the engine mounts? they're stock as far as i know and most likely the original so thats a given for some shake but im wondering is this a symptom of like the mount weld braking? the timing is spot on and the carb is cleaned and tuned and the idle is set just above 800 but in the vid its around 1000 cuz it was cold still.

random025copy.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I'd start by checking the motor mounts - you can see if the weld is broken at the same time - pry the engine away from the body at each mount spot and see if the mount is still intact - I use a 2x4 on the left and a pry bar on the right. Check the tranny mount too.

Check your booster..... I was driving and I hit a D.C. pothole and had the exact same symptoms you are describing. Hit the brakes while at idle and see if the engine smooths out or if you hear a hiss when you release the brake pedal.

HTH,

Dudley

71 BMW 2002 "Von Eiff" gone baby gone

73 BMW 2002 " Mingus "

04 BMW X5

75 Triumph Tr6

00 CLK 430 Conv

Honda Elite Scooter

Vespa Ciao

Sure sounds like a vacuum leak, especially if the bump caused the shaking. If your carb is set right and there are no vacuum leaks, check your valve adjustment. I couldn't get my engine smooth at idle until I readjusted the valves. What a difference!

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

i figured it out. it was a vacuum leak on my intake manifold. i grabbed a flashlight to look at the booster and boom it was the first thing i notice. my plug must have popped off when hit the bump or something, it was on there kinda loose to begin with so i put on a new tighter on and wabam fixed. heres a pic of the one im talkin about. its the black on in the middle.

intakeplug.jpg

random025copy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have a 1976 BMW 2002 and is shaking like you swaid after being sitting in the garage for a couple of months. I try to plug the same hole and it turn the car off it seems to need the air inflow. What else could be causing the shakes. San Antonio TX