• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M2 madness

M3M3

Cool.

Re the link, ask your wife to track down the original use for Listerine ;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

lol...just wiki'd listerene...

if you noticed a white enclosed car trailer in the background in one of her blog pics...that is another casualty of her biz. that was my small (18ft) trailer for 2002's. short, light, easy to tow compared to my monster race trailer. well, after the 76 shell was sold it was empty for a bit. she took it over. it is now full of vintage furniture. oh well!

2xM3

Started to fix little things today, then the dreaded scope creep set in…again.

Brake pedal was too low relative to the gas pedal for heel/toe at the limit, so simple adjustment…right?

Airbox off to get at the upper brake rod adjustment nut, gas pedal and carpet out to get at the lower nut. Hmmm, upper nut jammed. Dang there is a lot of slop int the various pins in the system and that pivot that drives the booster. Think I have a complete rehabbed pedal box somewhere…yup!

Didn’t want to swap whole pedal box, but decided to scavenge the pivot and brake rod and swap into the car.

DSCN5641.jpg

I really need all new pins. Measured the ones i have and all of them were fairly worn. This adds slop.

DSCN5639.jpg

Pulled the exisiting pivot out of the car. worn out. The Teflon bushings very compressed and bolt rusty. Replacement is in better condition.

DSCN5642.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

Brake rod comes out through bottom of pedal box…that little access panel people wonder about. It will not come out from the top.

DSCN5640.jpg

After some fun with the bitch clips, all back together…much better. Adjusted brake pedal out slightly. And while I had it out, painted the gaz pedal with 3m rubberized undercoating. See how long it lasts.

DSCN5646.jpg

Then fixed the alignment of the accel cable on the accel lever arm. Drilled new hole in cable bracket. And then resealed the access panel on pedal box with sound deadener.

DSCN5644.jpg

Buttoned it all back up, ready to drive to MBS for bigger rear muffler on Thursday.

2xM3

cruised up to MBS today for a second rear muffler section. Greg had the last design in the Mandrel computer and had a 6in dia magnaflow waiting. took only an hour to fab up new rear section. 2.5in tube to the bigger muffler, then 2.25in out along with an extra little baffle he put in the back of the muffler. probably cost me a few HP at 8000rpm...oh well!

2012-05-17_10-05-23_743.jpg

2012-05-17_10-03-45_288.jpg

end result is 3db quieter in the cabin at 60mph, and the tone is less raspy. much better for around town. it still is not what i would call "quiet", but........i can actually hear the radio in the car for the first time since i put the S14 in. predominant noise now is the CF intake. ;-)

LOL, and now i can hear that the Gaz pedal squeaks...time for some lube!

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

Vintage has passed. successfully made it down there, did some passes on the dragstrip and made it back. 27mpg overall....including the dragstrip runs. 30mpg on trip back at 65-75mph.

ran a video camera on roof for drag strip runs. working on editing the vid for posting...

so....time to covert car back to track trim for an event in june. parts to be added....

the 4.10 on left and the small muffler. (other diff is the 50% lock 3.91 track diff)

2012-05-28_12-04-46_850.jpg

comparison of the two rear muffler sections i now have.

DSCN5647.jpg

putting in the 4.10 now. details are posted in the faq construction zone. figured i may as well create a how to for diff swaps.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,373426/

2xM3

first drag race vid. sorry about the minute of "staging" footage.

yeah, in my first time ever on a drag strip, a 535xi wagon beat me!

At least you didn't have to run against Chris Isacsson's Dodge Diesel van!

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

Bet that exhaust is a tad noisy that way!

I'm eager to hear your 4.10 impressions of course!

Cheers,

Ray

You sure you want to do that?

:-D

Ray

too late now...i got a 4.10 in!

DSCN5666.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this problem with always wanting to change something. This time it was engine mounts. Have already been through too many of them..

Car came with worn stock ones. Put new stock ones in with the Kerman M10. Put IE yellows in with the S14. Replaced DS IE mount with an IE green one which was harder. Unfortunately that one cracked so I put another set of new stock mounts in (with DS tab bend down and filled void with RTV to restrict movement). The new IE mount design is not ready yet and I have a track day coming up so I decided to change, again. This time to AKG poly mounts.

My engine mount box..

2012-06-10_18-59-56_362.jpg

I was shocked when the AKG mounts came in. they are huge and heavy. Very substantial. Here are some comparison pics with stock and IE mounts.

DSCN5674.jpg

DSCN5673.jpg

DSCN5671.jpg

DSCN5670.jpg

JimG cam over today and we put the AKG mounts in.

Hood off

CF airbox off

Exhaust system off

Loosen diff mounts

Loosen tranny mount

Attach engine hoist to front of engine

Loosen old mounts

Raise engine slightly after making sure no hoses or wires will be pulled

Remove old mounts

Insert new mounts

Lower engine

Assembly is reverse…

We hit one glitch. The Pass Side AKG mount was not made correctly. The top bolt and nub were 1/8in too far to the right preventing the left side of the mount from going up into the engine side bracket. Mount back out and into the grinder. Ground about 1/8in of metal off the top inside edge and some poly off the same side to let the mount get up into the bracket. Fixed.

Sorry, no pics of the process. It was hot and we were a bit focused so forgot to take any.

Next up car goes back on the ground and front camber/caster gets set for the track.

2xM3