• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WANTED: Decent '02 in the NorthEast/Boston area

BiggyC

Howdy...Looking to buy a decent-running '02 w/ minimal rust (I know, a tall order in the Northeast)...Willing to spend up to $4000, and travel within a 4 hour radius of the Boston area (MA, NH, ME, VT, NY, RI, CT, NY, NJ). This would be my first '02. I've owned 6 mopars in the past, and expect to do major/minor mechanical repair. Looking forward to be a contributing member of the '02 community, and expecting to do business w/ the well respected character named blunt as I get my '02 sorted out. Below is more info. Thanks for reading! -Chris

MUST HAVE.....

- minimal rust OK, but not frame rot.

- Clean shock towers and pedal box.

- Manual Transmission - NO AUTOMATICS.

- Clean Title

- Roadworthy to drive back to Boston safely on its own.

NICE TO HAVE....

- sunroof

- roundie

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

- 1974 2002 Atlantikblau sunroof

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1971 1602 for sale with a 2002 engine. I am the original owner, having purchased the car in CA in 1971. I relocated to VA in 2002. There is minimal rust. Let me know if you would like to see some photos.

Hi There,

I have a 74 2002 that is extremely solid. All numbers match. Never molested a true survivor. Zero rust in shock and strut towers, but some small spots here and there on body and hood w/some dings and scratches here and there. The main rust is over the front signals -- totally rusted there, but can't see with hood closed. Pedal box is excellent -- zero issues -- even the gas pedal studs are perfect. Four speed that needs attention, but drives good -- grinds going into second -- syncro? But the car can be driven anywhere -- I just start off in second or shift slowly and carefully from first to second and it doesn't grind. Shifts well, stays in gears and drives well otherwise. Engine runs beautifully. Car is Atlantik Blue w/Tan and has factory sunroof working perfectly (needs new seals which I have and will include). Has a rebuilt head, BBS 13 X 6 w/new HTR 200s, New IE header w/full Ansa Sprt Ex., IE silicon hose kit, excellent interior w/new carpeting by esty, rebuilt 32/36 w/new K&N, Bilsteins, Nardi(old, but still good), Nice adjustable strut stress bar, IE steering coupler, New timing rails, chain, and tensioner. Has Euro signals. Completely desmogged. Plus a million more little things. Speedometer and odometer not working (I will include an extra gauge cluster I have). Needs windshield gasket, but doesn't leak. Again car is solid everything works as it should -- every light, switch and yes even the heat and heater fan -- perfect. All locks, windows, glass are great. Keys work perfectly and trunk even locks as it should. Car looks decent, but needs paint and again some minor body work. Again second gear does grind. I have about 195 miles on it since the head was reinstalled. I think it's worth about $3,700. Have not tried to sell anywhere yet, but I have to have another surgery and I just don't think I will have it in me this year to finish the job. Just Inspected and registered in NYS (I got the car from Southern PA last year). Clean NY title in my name. Excellent car for a resto. Let me know if you want pics. I'll send to your email or put on disk and mail. Thanks.

From http://www.bimmers.com/02 (look in the for sale section)

2002 Turbo - 1974

Price: $$30K 6-28-2010

Exterior: Chamonix 085

Interior: Black

Description: This fairly early example VIN#4290298 spent most its life in Holland. It actually spent a stint @ the AutoMuseum Bergeyk NL. After purchasing this car from its fourth owner in Holland, I shipped the car back to the US. It has been in Boston, MA since 2000. I had the car completely re-painted in 2001 & put a factory sunroof on the car. I also replaced the exhaust to a better condition original exhaust. The car has Alpina rims. This Turbo was part of the BMW display at the Castle Hill Concourse D’Elegance in 2001. The interior is in terrific shape and is completely original, besides the headliner, which I replaced with a new headliner from 2002AD.com. This car has been featured on Boston Bimmer 2000 before the restoration. The car has 90K kilometers.

Seller Info: Andrew Boston, MA (USA)

Sure, pictures would be great. I'm not that familiar w/ the 1602's, but did they have the same 4-speed, radiator, etc? Pics of common rust areas (shock towers, rocker panels, pedal box would be appreciated if available. Email pics, your/car location, and price to polycarp99 at hotmail dot com Thanks for responding....

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

I am in the same area (Hamilton, MA) and have the same interest. I have already inspected a half dozen cars in MA, NH and ME that were unfortunately parts cars due to terminal rust conditions. BiggyC if you pass on the 74 in NY (88Strat) I would be very interested in the car. I can be reached at harris_law@comcast.net

In the words of Horace Greeley, "Go west young man" and you'll find a great 02 in California. There are some great deals on 76 2002's since 76 02's in CA still have to be smog tested and 75 and earlier in CA are smog exempt. Think of the road trip experience. Trust me, you want to find the 02 with the least amount of rust. Mechanical work is childs play compared to rust and salt damage.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

G-Man,

Thanks for the advice; I smell what you are steppin' in. Unfortunately, I'm not a young man, but do have a wife and 2 kids. Now if this was 6+ years ago, that would have been a GREAT idea. I didn't think about the 76' smog deelio in California....