• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 02 to starting to undergo transformation

It is funny how old habits die hard. Seems like many times we just can't leave well enough alone. So here I continue the changes on my 74. I have made what I would consider moderate progress on what I thought was going to be an orange, not Inka, car. But as some of you may have seen in a previous post, I was less than satisfied with the results of a pretty shoddy paint job and body work.

Now I do not consider myself a perfectionist, but I do like things to be presentable and straight. So the correction of a bunch of failures and while I am at it, a bunch of backdates are about to begin.

The plan is to create a clone or replica in as much a period correct way as possible of a 2002ti.

I am lucky enough to start off with an absolutely rust free 1974 car which I have decided to butcher. The quarter panels and front frnders have already been trimmed and welded as have the bumper holes and trim holes including the lights.

I have made a custom strut brace that will also serve as a bracket to stablise the engine as to conserve as much torque as possible.

A nice rollbar in 1.5" tubbing with diagonal brace and harness bar.

the suspension is already done as is the motor with a tii block for higher compresss\ion and a 292 cam with 40 dcoe's possibly soon running 45 dcoe's.

A large alluminium radiator and electric fan.

As noted in one of my pictures I will be running 13" ats classics with yomohama a021r tires.

I think that the kast significant modification that will be done is a set of alpina style flares in sheetmetal that i will make myself.

More updates to follow will include the paint scheme selected wich might be the agave with colorado trim I had mentioned on a previous post.

Thanks to all for the wonderful information shared and as always your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chico

16002alpina.jpg

various117.jpg

various114.jpg

various115.jpg

bmrs018.jpg

various107.jpg

various105.jpg

various104.jpg[/img]

These Corbeau seats are NLA in the states and going to be for sale soon and replaced by some lowback recaro/scheel copies I am going to make myself and will be run using a headrest attached to the rollbar to continue with the very oldschool racer look.

various098.jpg

Looking good! How hard was it to get all those holes welded up? I'm in the same boat...

Thanks!

I have to say that more than anything, it is time consuming. As you can see from the pictures my interior is completely stripped which in my opinion makes thing easier because it makes accessing the holes ALOT Easier and reduces the risk of damaging your door panels and seats carpet etc. There are a couple of options, one is to use copper sheet thick enough to not burn thru as a backer since the weld will not stick to copper. The other is to use very small pieces of good old scrap sheetmetal to also use as something for backing. This makes things go really quickly since there will be no empty spaces to fill. Filling empty holes is really time consuming when you figure how many holes there is to do. I am very happy with the results!

Give yourself a weekend for the work and save this until its time for a new paint job.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Chico

• 2 weeks later...