• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you get when you put a VW 1.8 turbo into a '74...

Anschauer

...and change the bumpers?

Interesting nonetheless - the owner has some skills for sure:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180490093474&viewitem=#ht_611wt_1165

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

That would be a really fun car! My 1.8t has 125k on the clock and it's still running strong (had it since new in 03). In my experience, as long as you keep up with oil changes and only use high quality synthetic, you should be good to go. Which reminds me...

At any rate, this engine is awesome because you get a ton of torque down low (I think you're within 10% of max torque at 1700 RPMs and the curve is pretty flat from there) and really great mileage (I get 25+ and I beat this car like it owes me money)... it's also a 20v 4 banger, so it sounds amazing (very unique whine) when everything is working like it should. Anyway, I'd replace the block with one from a later Jetta/GTI/Audi (built for bigger turbo and more boost... I can't confirm this, but I imagine there were some structural changes to accompany the increased boost) and call it a day. Cool find!

75 '02

78 M50 swapped E21

95 E34 touring

69 C10 Fleetside

69 Datsun SRL 311 (2012 project)

"Toil and learn or have deep pockets" - a smart guy