• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

locked up engine :(

73tiijeff

Good Evening everyone. Finally got some 2002 time... Gave the car a much needed bath inside and out, and began assessing its problems. Lets see, cracked dash, ratty drivers seat, nasty carpet, bad seals, broken passenger window regulator, missing window washer bottle, missing under dash cardboards, missing rear emblems, rusty trunk lid, rusty hood, and last but not least stuck engine!

On a brighter note there is only pitting in the spare tire well, and the rest of the body is very rust free! I have also found a round tail light car in a local wrecking yard. Even brighter, my wife actually likes the car and is encouraging!?

I have filled each cylinder with "Marvel Mystery Oil" on Monday, and added more on Tuesday. This car has sat since 1990 without running so this is to be expected. When I removed number three spark plug there was a large amount of sludge jammed into the plug itself. I will attempt to break the engine free and see what transpires...

I expected this to be a somewhat "challenging" car to get back on the road! I will hope for the best and plan for the worst. After 25+ years in the VW hobby I know how to rebuild an aircooled engine in my sleep... This little jewel of a "tii" will be all new to me though. Encouragement and recommendations of BMW friendly machinists in Washington State would be helpful!

Best Wishes and Thanks!

Jeff in Yakima

Long story short my first car was a 1929 Chevrolet, engine stuck, soaked it with every snake oil known to man, for 6 months. Hey I was 14 and had way more time than money.

Turns out the rings were bonded to the liners, plus a 29 had cast iron pistons which had joined in the merger. Now this melding of parts was caused by the cracked cylinder head which had released all it water into the holes adjoining the crack. I pried, levered, and even towed around the block trying to free it up for months.

Get right to the problem, pull the head and look.

Yes, I know to pull the head/tear it down, but daughters car ('60 VW) is in line before mine. No room in shop for the 2002, and not taking engine apart until her car is running. I will gather other parts and work on non-mechanical issues until then. I see that you are in Puyallup - know of any good BMW machine shops in the area? In the meantime, more "Marvel/Snake Oil" it is. I have no misconception that the engine is going to turn over and run beautiful, its just easier to work on when it turns free.

Best Regards,

Jeff

You have a good point let her soak, it can't hurt.

I really can't recommend any shops here as I haven't used any as a customer.

TobyB (who posts here) would be a good source for PNW information, check his posts, always informative and helpful.

By the way the pistons never did come out of the old Chevrolet six, I had to opt for a replacement engine and it even had pressure oiled rod bearings.

sounds like a fun project, where did you find a 73 tii? not too much of an engine guy, but love the cars and enjoy seeing tii's restored and back on the road. Please keep us informed and pictures if you can, bob in ore.