• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield repair advice

m-racer

I have a small crack in my windshield (1//8"). No big deal at the moment, but would like to avoid it getting worse. What's the best course of repair? I know Bavauto sell a repair kit. Can I fix it myself or should I call a pro?

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

and inject a substance to stop the crack or fill the bull's eye. Usually the repair is virtually invisible. Often there is no charge to you, depending on your coverage - ins. co. would rather fix it than replace it.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

It depends on the crack and where it's located. In many states, it's a safety violation to have a crack or chip on the windshield in the driver's field of view - you could get ticketed.

And, cracks cannot be repaired, just blocked from spreading. But, if the crack is a result of tension on the windshield, it will slowly change direction and migrate away from the 'plug'.

As stated, check your ins. policy. Many (mine does) have a glass replacement provision that allows a claim with no deductable which is not charged against you. Stating the obvious, replacing the windshield is better than repairing it. Add to this that it gives you the opportunity to replace what is likely a dried out seal and to clean and protect the metal surrounding it - an area prone to rust on the '02.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Thanks. I live in Fl. and there is no deductible on glass. It is just a small rock chip and is not yet large enough to qualify for replacement. I just wan to do something before the Spring driving season starts. Just in case I can't get it repaired, what is the best source for a new windshield?

More former BMW's than it is possible to list.

Sigla was purchased by Pilkington some years ago, but I had no problem with the fit when replacing the glass in my '76 '02 or E28. It's the correct size, contour and thickness.

There have been threads about this, if you're lucky enough to find them with a search. All "German" glass seems to be soft and tends to pit easily.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif