• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Houston BMW-fans lost a true friend

Kidasters

Houston and Southeast Texas Bimmer fans lost a true friend. Mike Perkins, owner of Bavarian Machine, died in early January. I just found out today, from a friend that did a Pre-Purchase Inspection there.

Mike was a great guy. I dealt with him on all of the machine work on the cylinder head that I have yet to install. The work he did was perfect. That's what he was known for.

Here's a picture of when he did that assembly:

Tylerheadwork001-2.jpg

Mike also showed me around the shop, and was a true enthusiast. will be missed by many.

Here's the obit from the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6808579.html

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

That is shocking news. My condolenses go out to his family and friends. Mike was the most knowledgable BMW guy I ever met. I always loved to visit his shop. He did wonders to my cars over the years and I still very much enjoy my current M10 - a Perkins rebuild running tight and strong w/ 130k miles.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

I had the pleasure of meeting Mike in Watkins Glen several years ago. We stayed at the same place and had one of those great parking lot conversations.

I believe he help build Bob Murphy's A4 system and another one I know about. He was a great person and mechanic.

Sorry to hear about his passing and thanks for passing this along.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5