• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 2002-Colorado-budget resto with rust removal

calicolorado

Latest update w/o pix:

Wheelwells have been undercoated and, as you can see above, now painted. The suspension components have been sandblasted and refinished and everything except the struts are back in the car. It'll be on it's wheels tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

Pix to follow.

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend, we put the car on the ground-after eighteen months of the front end being dismantled and resting atop an ancient wood dolly from Marie Callenders (it was used to move huge Hobart mixers around).

Before the 'grounding' ceremony, I had completed a number of things that had to be done beforehand, mainly painting the engine bay and wheelwells.

I bought color matched cans of paint from the Paint Store in Laguna Niguel, CA. These guys are everything one could hope for in an auto painting business. They have been patient with me and answered every one (and more) of my amateurish questions as well as guided me in the direction of a practical paint system.

I decided to go with PPG's OMNI line because the color base can be formulated into any kind of paint-single or two stage rattle can, quart/gallon base/clear, or single stage quart/gallon. The Omni line is less expensive color, but I am going to spend a bit more on the clear. I took my trunklid in with the trim removed to expose the virgin Colorado orange. PPG does not have a code for Colorado and BASF only has a code for the Glasurit paint, which is too expensive for this project, so we matched it by spraying 8 different cards, checking with a light and recording the formula. I paid $25 for this service and I now have the recipe for PPG Colorado-it is VERY close.

We (my friend Tom and I) have reassembled the front suspension with the blasted and painted components, new tie rods, Ireland urethane bushings, Ireland sway bar, new Meyle ball joints, and re-painted Ireland springs with the upper coil wrapped with clear vinyl tubing.

The external engine components are nearly together including a new fan and belt, rebuilt and rejetted Weber 38 DGAS with matched manifold, Ireland Shorty Header and stock downpipe painted in VHT silver, tii distributor with new points, rotor, condenser and cap, and NGK plugs. Tonight, I'm putting in the master cylinder and brake booster that I've re-painted and installed new rubber in and installing the Ireland stainless braided brake lines. Oh, yeah, I cobbled together from junkyard parts the Volvo big brake setup with new 320i rotors and new wheel bearings and races. Whew....

post-15089-13667623452696_thumb.jpg

post-15089-1366762345368_thumb.jpg

post-15089-13667623454787_thumb.jpg

post-15089-13667623455843_thumb.jpg

post-15089-13667623456826_thumb.jpg

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado #2577807<p>

2015 BMW M5 Competition 6-speed

2003 Audi TT Coupe 225

• 4 years later...