• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those of you shortening DOT-spec Bumpers...

02for2

A question for those of you shortening the late model DOT-spec Bumpers:

How do you deal with the rubber 'accordian' bumper ends?

This is something I'm contemplating, but haven't a clue how to shorten the rubber ends. Any help is much appreciated.

BTW, I did do a search and came up with ways to compress the shocks, but no mention of the rubber bumper ends. TIA

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

I've attached pictures for clarification.

First, determine how many inches you have tucked the bumpers.

Then cut accordingly with a sharp blade. The cut needs to be in the valley of the accordians, leaving enough rubber on each side to mate with the other cut so you can attach them. After mating the two pieces and making sure you don't have any gaps, (if you do find an uneven cut, use a grinding wheel to smooth the two pieces), use a good cleaner and join the two pieces with an adhesive suited for rubber. I then used rust proof staples and secured the two pieces from the back side. You could use a punch and run wire or fishing line to do the same thing.

Good luck with your project. You'll like the bumpers a lot more after this modification.

post-123-13667619631729_thumb.jpg

post-123-13667619633231_thumb.jpg

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Mike is amazingly detail oriented, and I have chrome bumpers in the garage waiting their turn, so my nip/tuck was a little more seat-of-the-pants. The end product was still great! You'll love it.

I just unbolted the accordion at the bumper and spread them over the ends as I remounted the shortened assembly. After getting the bumper remounted level and square, I marked and trimmed the accordion at the bumper end. It was simple and effective. Then I filled the seam with black silicon and it hides nicely behind the big mounting pad detail..

There is a full write up in my project blog if you need it. Link in my sig.

(the pic is pre-silicon)

IMG_3879.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002