• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch question

72Golf

My clutch seems fine, no judder, no slippage and shifts smooth in all gears. What I don't understand is that when parked on a hill, in gear, if I put in the clutch, it doesn't roll until I start the car...then it rolls. Never seen this before. I'm in the middle of ripping the rear suspension out of the old boy and just thought I would start mulling over the next project.

Whatcha think? Slave cylinder? Pressure plate? Paranoid owner?

Fritz Bimmer

72 Golf

73 Chamonix

66 P car

I guess I'm wondering where, in the clutch-pedal travel, it starts to bite when you release the clutch? At the beginning of the travel? In the middle? Toward the end?

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC

My clutch seems fine, no judder, no slippage and shifts smooth in all gears. What I don't understand is that when parked on a hill, in gear, if I put in the clutch, it doesn't roll until I start the car...then it rolls. Never seen this before. I'm in the middle of ripping the rear suspension out of the old boy and just thought I would start mulling over the next project.

to answer your question, it is probably one of those wierd things that make these cars so intriguing and interesting. Logically, the car should roll down regardless of what the engine is doing. I don't think the clutch slave or master are boosted, but maybe they are - one of the old timers can answer this question more accurately...

FAQ Member # 91

I wonder if the clutch is not releasing entirely all the time, so there is still minimal contact between the flywheel and disk, but starting the motor breaks it free. But it would seem that you would also have issues going into first from a stop or other shifting issues.

My other theory...does it only do this on the first start of the day, or always? If only once, I am thinking the flywheel/clutch plate could be binding together (surface rust/contamination?) and then broken free by the motor turning.

Interesting problem, let us know.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Guest Anonymous

I have had this problem on a larger model. Splines on the disk (with the friction material) enlarged (possibly due to wear)? Or, the corresponding spines upon which the disk rides (on the transmission input shaft) worn? If the wear is great enough, the disk may sit slightly cockeyed when the clutch is engaged. This can result in the clutch seeming as though it is engaged. Movement of the vehicle's rear tires typically breaks things free. It is also possible that the disk is actually hanging up on the splines too. .

M