• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

speedo question... (how to fix)

rdeeble

hey so im trying to get my speedometer working on my 76 2002. I found that the cable was damaged so I replaced the upper lower pieces with a single cable (btw can I remove the box or does it have another purpose?).

Now with the cable installed the speedo goes crazy - 0 to 200 mph just pulling out of the driveway (no im not flooring it). If it werent for the pin the speedo would spin like a fan. Does that sound like a bad speedo or an installation problem??

rd

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Hey Robert,

Speedo problem. Something with the relationship of the magnet to the spinning shaft I believe.

North Hollywood Speedometer can rebuild it for you, as can others. There may also be something in the archives. Here's an odo repair guide by Curt Ingraham...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I recently had the same problem with my speedo. If you take the cluster out and remove the speedo you can take the part of the speedo off that connects to the cable. If the wheel is sloppy front to back as viewing from the front this can cause the wheel to engage the wheel that is attached to the speedo and cause it to spin like crazy. If you take the slop out of this assembly you should be good to go. I just pressed the big wheel in to take up the play but not too far as to bind. Email me if you have any questions I can take a few pics to help clarify in you want.

I just pressed the big wheel in to take up the play but not too far as to bind. Email me if you have any questions I can take a few pics to help clarify in you want.

I would love a few pics - thanks for the tip... i already took the cluster apart so im getting pretty familiar with it these days. -rd

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you still reading this post (or those of you who pull it up in a search). Here is a successful end of story....

So the speedo and odo was no longer working but I was able to fix both with the help of some instructions from Curt Ingraham. Here is the speedo fix...

Here's a quick how-to on fixing the axial speedo shaft play.

1. At http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/ perform steps 1 through 5.

2. Remove the two screws that hold the back of the speedo housing to

the speedo frame (lower piece in photo SpeedoInputHousing.jpg) and

carefully remove the housing. (Some other disassembly might be

required to get to this point.)

3. See photo SpeedoMagnetWheel.jpg. Gently squeeze the magnet wheel

back onto the speedo input shaft to eliminate the axial play in the

shaft. Leave just enough play for smooth rotation of the shaft.

4. Glue the wheel to the shaft as described earlier.

5. Reassemble and test.

and here is a play by play of the odometer fix:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/72/32/

both of these took some time and a few redo but they totally worked and the speedo, odo and trip counter are all working like a charm!

post-17451-13667618801845_thumb.jpg

post-17451-13667618806225_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...