• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Troubleshooting 74 Windshield wipers

Fishhead

1974 2002 STD.

My wiper motor works fine when taken off and hooked up to a battery. When plugged back in to the wiring harnees, I get nothing. Wipers dont wipe or move at all. The wipers arent seized and move freely when moved by hand (with the motor removed). I have power to 1 wire of the 5 pole connector at all times.

My Chilton manual has a 3 page wiring diagram and my eyes arent what they used to be. The Chilton has a very tiny schematic and the windshield wiper switch is cut in half between pages 2 and 3. I cant really figure out the specifics(switch/relay,etc) to it because of the split in the wiring schematic.

How does the wiper switch work? Is it grounded through the switch to get the 2 different speeds? How do I find out if I have intermittent wipers( I searched and I found alot of information on the 73's and before).

TIA,

Fishhead

Fishhead

----------------------

Motorcycle Big Brake systems

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

http://www.my2002tii.com/wiper_how-to.htm

As per the link above.

I have the intermittent relay (7 wire# 1-353-892) with the 3 position stalk (1-357-011) instead of the 4 position stalk (1-357-913) that would be correct for use with the interval relay.

Could this be the problem with my wipers?

Will the 3 position stalk only work with the non-interval relay(6 wire)?

My car is wired for the intermittent relay.

Any advice would be great. There's not much info on the later model wipers to be found.

Fishhead

Fishhead

----------------------

Be yourself and be free with your thoughts because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter..

That could definitely be your problem.

Although this is for a 76, I believe this should work for you as well. I mentioned this in another post today about making sure the cable connectors are seated well by removing and re-seating them after inspection. It is also not unusual for the stalk switches to intermittently fail, as well as the relays get damaged due to water leaks over the years.

I provided a link to a LARGE wiring diagram in a later post here today so I won't repeat it. Also, it's on the forum under a number of much earlier posts from others. I cannot attribute it, but I would if I could.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

Thanks for the reply.

I am also thinking that the interval relay may only work with the 4 position switch. Information on the squaries seams to be hard to find.

For future reference, heres a link to the post with the wiring diagram for the 1976 (thanks for the wiring schematic).

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,333541/

Fishhead

Fishhead

----------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting an "interval" kit off ebay (4 position wiper switch and relay) and it repaired my problem. My old relay had gone south (it didnt work with 3 or 4 position switch), but when the relay was replaced along with the 4 position switch, my wipers came to life !!

Fishhead

----------------------