• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii enrichment setting

eaker02

decided to go back and go through the tii adjustment setup. everything seemed set correct. one linkage rod was off 1mm.

what I did find is that the gap between the screw on the enrichment the stop to 2.6mm was off just a hair, so adjusted by the locknuts on the rod. after all was set, let the car warm up and then measured the cone coming up out of the regulator, it measured between 8 & 9 mm and the stop was enrichement screw was hitting the stop.

So, what would be the next thing to do? From the manual, It looks like there is a allen screw in the cone, do I loosen it and raise the cone? adjust the enrichment lever? this is not the original pump, so not sure what the PO did.

thanks and appreciate any advice. this may be why I still have to much gas coming through the system.

thanks

I think you really wanted to get the 2.6mm by adjusting the large washer looking thing with the jam nut on the (cone) warm up transmitter. It is the other end of the rocker that you measured the gap on.

You are changing an important relationship of the throttle plate to pump by adjusting the link to anything other than 85mm long. I think it is 85, better check the book, I made a fixture to set it just a piece of angle aluminum with some linkage balls set at the proper distance

The manual can be a little confusing but it all makes sense after you evaluate it

Sorry that is what I set. there are two jam nuts above the washer. I set those to get the 2.6mm between the screw and stop. then after the car warmed up, the cone only came out 8 or 9 mm, not the full 10mm and the enrichment screw was hitting the stop.

The manual says if the cone doesn't come out the 10 mm the regulator is out of whack.

My question what do I need to get the cone to extend to the 10mm/

loosen the allen screw on the cone and twist it out or how ever it rises or adjust the forbidden enrichment screw to see if that makes the cone rise more.

thanks

If you are following the (2) BMW manuals, then the KF pump to throttle body plate synchronization is very critical on tii's. Yes, (2) of the (3) linkage rods can be adjusted, but you must be careful not to change the throttle plate opening when the pump is wide open and fully closed.

Treading lightly here: How did you determine your car is using too much fuel? Is the mileage poor? Does your car belch black smoke from the exhaust?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Haven't drove it yet, she's been a project for the last couple years. Now I'm about a weekend or two from getting her on the road and test driving. no black smoke, more white, like condensation. was gas in the oil, not a lot but enough to turn it grayish when I changed it the other night.. not water, you could smell the gas in it.

Main thing I just want to get the settings correct on the warm-up regulator. Feel everything else is now set correct.

The settings are from the pump manual I downloaded from the Tii register.

Maybe I should rephrase my question and ask how do I get the cone in the warm up regulator to rise the full 10mm ? The setting between the enrichment screw and stop is set at the 2.6 mm.the screw hits after the engine is warm and the cone only extends about 8 or 9 mm.. I haven't touched the enrichment screw, but I don't know if the PO of the pump would had.

thanks

ron

It doesn't sound like a millimeter or so adjustment to the regulator will make that much difference in how the car runs. The internal portion of the "valve" may be corroded from a lack of proper maintenance. When I removed the coolant branch from my cylinder head, the fitting and hose that supplies coolant to the KF pump warm-up regulator was nasty on the inside even though the coolant in the radiator looked fine. Same for the outlet hose on the regulator.

If you choose to adjust the length of the regulator shaft, make sure the center portion does not turn (according to the manuals).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Some of the gas in the oil could have been there for awhile. This is the first time changing since the head was re-built back a few months ago, Kugelfisher adjusted(PO of the pump had the gap between the enrichment lever and stop set between 6 & 7mm). Didn't change the oil before due to bodywork, sandblasting and painting.

Now she's home and I'm go back through it, changing oil, plugs, checking things.

Still don't understand the condensation out the tailpipe unless it has to do with the 71c thermostat or if that's normal especially on a cool night.

Still would like to know how do I make the cone rise out of the regulator the full 10mm, unless 8 or 9mm is OK.

thanks

ron

Glad you clarified the setting you made,

On a similar problem we found not enough travel and ended up setting the gap wide enough to ensure the large washer cleared the arm by around 1mm, not proper but it ran with correct mixture when warm and worked fine until a new regulator could be found.