• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Sunroof Seal Placement - Conflicting info

Paul7002

The my2002tii.com writeup on sunroof refurbishment says the rear seal is affixed to the roof of the car, same as the front seal.

But,

The much earlier posting (Jan, 2002) from Jason which repeats Paul from Maximillian's instructions, says the "seal glues to the moveable PANEL - NOT the roof of the car"

So which is correct?

Also - Wurth Rubber Cement vs. Super Glue gel vs. 3m Super Weatherstrip adhesive?

Thanks

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

Keith will argue that his method is correct. However, I put mine on the sunroof panel. Why else does it come in two pieces? Otherwise it would just be one long section. Now....what logic would you use? I'd say use your own judgment.

j9273c.jpg
'71 Agave, '71 Verona, '74 Inka, '73 Chamonix

"FAQ Member Number 60"

Agreed. Without even reading both views, it's obvious (to me) that the rear seal goes on the removable panel. Don't stress about it. Just get the seal and panel in front of you and you'll see.

Now, which way was up was a little harder to determine, but I think I got it about right.

I can't answer your sealant question. I just used whatever adhesive I had in the house at the time and it worked.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

Guest Anonymous

That's where mine is. For adhesive, I've been recommended either Scotch #1357 High Performance contact adhesive or 3M #08088 General Trim Adhesive

Sorry I don't have an answer on the felt seals- but I do have a quick question on the rear black rubber seal:

Where and in what orientation does it install? I searched up a blurry pic but it didn't help alot. It's an ill-defined "V" shape and there is some very fine ribbing on one half of the "V".

Any advice?

-Todd

PS: I think I'm going to install the felt on the car body... not the sunroof. Seems like it would be less likely to try and tear itself off when closing.

'76 2002 JadeGrun. Converted to electric (don't flame me!) see it at http://www.evalbum.com/2411

'72 Porsche 914 (1.7L 4-banger... darn, wish it was a 6!)

'64 VW Beetle

It's supposed to go... or shall I say originally was attached... to the sun roof panel. Especially with the sunroof out you can see where it goes.

After painting, my body shop attempted a couple times to attach it to the car roof... It kept coming off. They used the 3M quick drying weatherstrip glue (sorry I don't have the number) which I'm not impressed with because I've had to go back and re-affix quite a few seals. Others have successfully put it on the car roof but i don't see how it's better because the gluing surface is just the narrow edge of the roof... whereas on the sunroof panel you have an entire flat lip to attach it to.

Anyway, I ended up using a super glue... can't remember what brand... and actually attached it to the sunroof panel while it was ON. Not recommended... it was too messy... I'd take the effort to take the sunroof out next time. But there won't be a next time soon... it's holding up well.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Thanks Paul- that would be great!

Here is about the best picture I could find... but it doesn't really show me which half gets glued and which half goes which direction. Actually the whole thing just looks smashed onto there.

-Todd

post-12981-1366761455475_thumb.jpg

'76 2002 JadeGrun. Converted to electric (don't flame me!) see it at http://www.evalbum.com/2411

'64 VW Beetle

Well that's dumb, I looked at the picture but didn't read the caption above it. I guess that has enough info for me. Maybe I should just quit worrying and start gluing!

Thanks Paul,

-Todd

'64 VW Beetle