• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so motor still stalling

RayB

I recently had some trouble with stalling at odd times and odd ways and it turned out to be a very simple matter of my carb float being way off of what it should have been. Don't be afraid of messing with the Carb... you're bigger than it is. Seriously though, my .02 but it worked for me. more details of the symptoms would be nice.

Achtung Lieber Himmel!

1976 Rot und Schwartz daily driver "Otto Q. Gilgamesh"

More details of which carb you have would help too, is it single or dual barrel carb ? solex or weber ?

If you are sitting in the driveway, w/parking brake on,

start the car, then push on the brake pedal, does it die then ?

How long have you had this car ?

What have you done to it tune up/maintenance wise so far ?

Have you checked points for pitting & gap for .016 ?

Temporary cheap fix: raise the idle speed with the idle screw on the carb for now til you find the problem.

2002 owner since 1980

Sounds like your new to 2002's, from my early days as far as I can remember, most common thing to overlook, was the stinking points !

They only cost about $5, maybe more, hadn't bought any for years, since I switched to electronic ignition. But, for about $8 or $10, you can get set of feeler gauges at sears or auto store, so for less than $20, you can replace the points, set the gap to .016, and 50/50 chance your stalling motor symptom will go away. It's either that, or you have a intermittant vaccum leak, or carb issue. Installing new points is fairly easy to do, sposed to do it every 10K miles anyway. CD will come on here & use his big bad red paintbrush & marked up factory manual pictures and tell you to set your timing also, so a timing light for $30 would be the next tool you will need to keep your car in good running order. Try the points first. Forget the condensor, rotor & cap for now if $$ are tight, just get the points & feeler guage set.

2002 owner since 1980

I think you should take the 50 mile drive to Plantsville and let Sports Car Restoration take a quick look.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.