• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken Door Brakes

Mike_R

Wow, when the the diagnosis for my door brakes was that they where broken, I never anticipated the number of peices bouncing around inside my door. I got a set of those "new" door brakes from Colin and when I went in through the speaker hole to remove the old one, most of it was in about 8 parts in the door. I never had a funtional drivers door brake in the 6 years I have owned it. Nice change not to have to worry about it slamming on my leg each time I open it. Good deal too, both sides with a plastic "shield" for $110. New tires this month as well I think.

Still dreaming of a paint job.

post-344-13667610829484_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Seems like door brakes are in my future as well. How difficult were they to replace and any helpful tips to make the job go a bit easier?

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

69 Datsun SRL 311 Roadster

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer

Guest Anonymous

super easy to replace - do a search. One tip that I've posted before: to preserve them, don't use the rivet to attach them to the door jamb. Instead tap the bracket to accept a bolt with a 10 mm head (the one that is everywhere on your car). You don't need a nut - just thread it thru the bracket, the end of the brake, and the bracket. It eliminates the small "pop" that you get with the rivet, and greatly prolongs the life of the brake and the door bracket.

Glad they helped, Mike.

In regards to the popping:

With the hardware I have, as long as you tighten down the nut pretty well it shouldn't pop. The allen head bolt that I supply fills out the hole in the bracket really closely and the door brake is bushed so there really isn't any room for movement which is what causes the "pop".

Seems like door brakes are in my future as well. How difficult were they to replace and any helpful tips to make the job go a bit easier?

Super simple, even for me. I have door speakers so I just removed the speaker and then unbolted the remaining junk and removed it from inside. The most hassel was removing the pin from the door pillar mount. Used the same bolts to install the "new" brake through the hole, then a little effort to get the new door bolt/pin in and done!

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Super simple, even for me. I have door speakers so I just removed the speaker and then unbolted the remaining junk and removed it from inside. The most hassel was removing the pin from the door pillar mount. Used the same bolts to install the "new" brake through the hole, then a little effort to get the new door bolt/pin in and done!

Seems like my only excuse left for not getting these old busted door brakes replaced now would be pure lazyness! Thanks for the helpful tips, another project to tackle once this lousy heat & humidity eases up.

74 Tii-SOLD

01 Honda S2000

91 Volvo 945 SE Turbo

69 Datsun SRL 311 Roadster

"Why Johnny Ringo, looks like somebody just walked ova your grave" -Tombstone-Val Kilmer