• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The beginning of my love affair with Hetty Green/ 71 bmw 02

AceAndrew

it all began with a crash, a rude abrupt welcome to california after a 2 week drive from Portland. There i was at the side of the road in central LA (did NOT no my way around yet) with a crashed car filled with all my belongings and quite literally no place to go. The very nice guy who ran into me did not have a driver's license and could not speak English. It was like something only Dante could describe. but hey, I had dealt with more difficult situations, and the only way to go was up.

After borrowing a room from a friend of the family, I found that my car was a total loss. I began trying to make some lemonade from all the lemons dumped into my lap. Here was my chance to have another "fun" car, my criteria was simple; it had to be euro, classic, good design, easy to work on, and fairly inexpensive (to start). There was only one answer, a bmw 2002. The search for an early roundie (the purest design) naturally led me here to FAQ. In the classifieds there was a link to a craigslist add. The add was enticingly brief, and I emailed at once. Details about her soon began to emerge over late night emails; 120k, original elderly owners towed it behind their motor home, still had original folding key, etc. riding a wave of excitement I bought a one way ticket to........seattle. Meeting her for the first time I was instantly smitten, she was even more beautiful in person! One quick trip to the bank and she was all mine. In celebration of the beginning of our relationship we traveled down the coast. Together we wound through country roads, flirted with imposing cliffs and admired sunsets over the ocean. California took a new form, one of friendly locals, fresh fruit, curious wildlife, and endless ribbons of asphalt. My spirits are high and am looking forward to a brighter future with the company of my motoring companion, a 1971 roundie named Hetty Green.

the pickup in Seattle

IMG_1363copy.jpg

Stopped in Portland at Pacific Motorsports to have Terry give the car a thorough once-over. Great guy, bottomless '02 knowledge.

HPIM5515copy.jpg

one day....

HPIM5516copy.jpg

not too far from mount shasta

HPIM5533copy.jpg

on highway one

HPIM5586copy.jpg

picked up this friendly looking guy, apparently he designed the f22 raptor, proved Einstein wrong, knows how to safely transport hydrogen, and is the smartest guy in the world. I dropped him off at a gas station in san luis obispo, so if your in the area and need a consultant....

HPIM5598.jpg

kicken' it in Malibu while adding up the bug kill count on the grill.

HPIM5626copy.jpg

even the surfers thought it was a "righteous ride"

HPIM5632copy.jpg

the key

HPIM5638.jpg

first acquisition

HPIM5637.jpg

a BIG of questions for 02 owners in California. how do you fill your tank at the gas station without spilling?! the rubber hose "cuff" on the handle defeats me every time!

picked up this friendly looking guy, apparently he designed the f22 raptor, proved Einstein wrong, knows how to safely transport hydrogen, and is the smartest guy in the world. I dropped him off at a gas station in san luis obispo, so if your in the area and need a consultant....

Lol, that looks and sounds like most of the people who hangout in downtown Reno.. classic!

Your ride is looking amazing. Love it.

hryniukBMW.gifSteve Hryniuk

Hilo Hawaii

1973 BMW 2002

Project Honu Blog

a BIG of questions for 02 owners in California. how do you fill your tank at the gas station without spilling?! the rubber hose "cuff" on the handle defeats me every time!

Great story so far!

As for the gas fillers, some folks have had luck turning the handle almost upside down, while others have bought a "McCuff" and had good luck. Some have even ditched the filler cap on the outside, turned the rubber bit around and fill it inside the trunk.

David

Flickr

'74 2002 - The project

'98 M3

'04 Duramax 2500HD

Great story so far!

As for the gas fillers, some folks have had luck turning the handle almost upside down, while others have bought a "McCuff" and had good luck. Some have even ditched the filler cap on the outside, turned the rubber bit around and fill it inside the trunk.

Thank you very much for the tips!

• 4 months later...