• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box fill level?

jprocket

I cleaned off the top of my steering box this weekend as per C.Diesel's instruction making sure I can see my sparkling smile before taking off the red fill cap. DRY - or at least I cant see an oil level. Maybe that's why it looks like all the seals are in good condition - LOL. So how much is full? Until the oil spews out of the fill hole?

I assume you have heavy steering? Don't forget, as I did, to check the mechanism on the other side of the steering rack. I have read somewhere that this is frequently overlooked. Anyway, mine was dismantled, cleaned and greased, this made a huge difference. I also filled the box to the top, needed to as it has a slow leak!

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T

1964 Lotus 7 SII Cosworth

It's been a couple of days and so far no leaks in the steering box. I replaced the steering wheel shaft seal on the box and topped it off with 75w-90 Valvoline Gear Oil - all the way to top of box until I could see oil. Didn't have to touch the adjuster screw and all steers smoothly. While I was there, I checked all the linkages and bushings - OK, check the engine mounts - OOPS one was loose, check the subframe for cracks - OK, checked the subframe and swaybar bolts - OK, checked steering wheel coupling - OK, check the steering wheel column bolts - LOOSE, checked wheel bearings - OK, checked strut mounts - OK. I'm glad I did the walk thru now I'm ready to go back out and autox this thing!