• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how tight is this supposed to be. carb question

ChuckR

hi, the nut in the photo - from the linkage to the carb. when it's too snug it tends to bind and stick, too lose and i wonder if its too sloppy. any ideas?

chuck

post-2100-13667607532941_thumb.jpg

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

There is probably an underlying issue with the linkage. That nut should be snug with no binding, check the throttle linkage system from the pedal up and make sure everything is straight, aligned and tight. It sounds like there is a loose connection that is being pulled when you snug the nut down and causes the binding.

Also, when you get the ball nut (that's what it's called) down snug be sure to bend over the locking tab that is at about 10 o'clock on the red circle in your photo. That way the ball nut should not work itself loose over time, which it will do without the locking tab.

Bob Napier

thanks guys. the binding seemed to be close to the carb, but i can't tell. i snugged it up and then back of a flat, so it's snug but there is a tiny bit of play. Then turned the lock tab.

chuck

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com

You also might want to check that all the bits behind the ball nut and between the carb itself are in the proper order. If a part, like a spacing washer, has been omitted the linkage will bind on itself when the nut is snugged down.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell