• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Smoking is bad for your health... Ashtray = iPod holder

I wanted to get tunes in my car from my iPod while keeping that classic look and feel of my becker europa stereo radio. I had ordered a cable from becker usa which connected to the 5 point DIN jack in the rear of the radio. I taped the other end (3.5mm female jack) underneath the center console. I then ran a cable (male-male 3.5mm) through a hole I drilled in the ash tray. I can pull out the ashtray, and play my iPod where its nice and accessible. I can tuck it away, and its like it was never there.

post-16030-13667606512217_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606512509_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606512782_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606513098_thumb.jpg

post-16030-13667606513559_thumb.jpg

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Looks great, I was planning on doing the same thing.

Except my ashtray is the flip out kind so I was planning on putting a dock in there, so you flip it out, slide in the ipod, and then you can control it on the fly.

I want to keep an old stock radio look, but dont want to have to deal with the crappy technology of the past. Is there someone that makes old looking radios with good internals? All I really need is a good clean RCA out signal, I will use all external amps and an ipod.

76 Jade Green w/ E21 2.0 - DCOE Weber 40s, 304, 5spd, Stahl>Ansa, Wilwoods, H+R and Bilsteins, and some other fun bits.

p179457832-2.jpg

if you want to go nuts on money becker makes one that is over 1000

if not there is one on crutchfield's website that I have heard good things about for about 250 I think

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?us=2&SearchTab=Shop&search=classic+car+radio&x=0&y=0

I bypassed my radio all together and ran an ipod straight to an amp

cheap! and lots of room for gauges

have fun,

chet

if not there is one on crutchfield's website that I have heard good things about for about 250 I think

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?us=2&SearchTab=Shop&search=classic+car+radio&x=0&y=0

have fun,

chet

Chet-

can you email me the particulars on how you did that? I was thinking I wouldl like to do the same, but had no idea where to start. Brian

Modern cars... They all look like electric shavers.

have fun,

chet

Hey, some detail on how to run to amp would be great to see...I suck with electronics so that may be stupid, but if you don't ask...

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ