• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I separate strut from control arm???

Turb02

Im rebuilding my front subframe and have removed everything from the subframe but now I cant seem to get the strut apart from the control arm.

the ball joints are original (rivited on) and I noticed 3 14mm studs from the steering arm to where the ball joints go.

The brake discs and hubs are still attached to the strut if this makes a difference.

Please help as I would like to have these parts off by the time my parts arrive for the rebuild process.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

You will find three bolts under the steering arm. The bolts attach the steering arm to the strut. They must carefully be removed. Most likely they are rusted and will break in their hole. So, be carefull.

Remove the discs, calipers and backing plate. It will be easier to work. You can drill the three rivets holding the control arm to the ball joint, and use 8mm bolts to reassemble. If you have a torch, it is a good idea to heat up the three bolts holdig the steering arm to the strut's lower body.

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Those were the ones that I thought would release it,m thanks got it apart.

Now, upon reinstallation, is there a specific torque for the nut that holds the hub and disc on?

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/48/32/

This link has about every torque value you'd ever need. How's the project coming along? Mine is on the road, no bodywork done yet, but running well.

awesome, thanks for the link.

The project is coming VERY slowly, as I only get about 5 hours a week to work on it. Until I get more time, it will be one section at a time, like toe front subframe.

The head is done and man it looks really nice.

I decided to take a break on the engine (as it will consume all my money) and focus more on getting the car ready for the power it will have. So that means suspension brakes and chassis work, along with diff and 5 speed.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold