• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans Repair - Getrag 242

PeterVarga

Has anyone done this before? The input shaft on my tranny has a bit of wobble in it. Before I install it, I'd like to pull the input shaft and replace the bearing, seal and needle cage. Any tips? The rest of the transmission is decent enough. Comments please.

You can replace the bearing without pulling the input shaft(you would have to pull the whole trans apart to do that). There is a special tool to pull th bearing and make sure you index the shims so you can reassemble the box with the right preload.

Thanks. What you're saying is that for the slight wiggle in the iinput shaft replacing the bearing and seal is enough. The internal 'needle cage' is probably in decent shape. From the drawings it is not clear if the synchro assembly at the end of the input shaft can be removed through the bearing arpeture in the case or if the shaft is clipped in place and requires complete disassembly for replacement.

I used to rebuild 02 trannys here in the Portland area. The input shaft will wobble slightly even with a new bearing. The shaft is held by the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. The needle bearing is to support the output shaft. If the only reason to replace the inputshaft bearing is because it wobbles slightly, I wouldn't bother. Pulling down the complete transmission without the correct tools can be done, but you can cause damage if you are not careful. G

Thanks again. I found the shop manual and it had a maximum permissable play spec. "Axial play for shaft is 0.5 - 1.0 mm" I think

they mean the input shaft. This one is less than the 1.0 mm spc. Therefore I'll just install it as it is. Thanks for comments.