• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter valve cable routing - mystery relay

shipm_8

Tracing some wiring to understand what goes where The connector for the starter valve cable leads to this relay with a series of jumper cables.

Is this the way it's supposed to be?

Thank you.

William

Slowly ironing out all wrinkles

L1080307-1.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken

... which was formerly where that relay is. Interesting "repair". It looks like all the relay wires go to the 6-conductor Time Switch connector. Is that true? What are the colors of the Time Switch harness wires to which the relay wires are connected? The full set are green, violet, brown, red/white, black/white, and brown/black.

The Time Switch fires the start valve for one second for a warm start and longer for cold starts up to 15 seconds.

I'm guessing that setup fires the start valve whenever the key is in the start position. That would give you way more enrichment than you need.

A new Time Switch, part number 61-31-1-354-686, is $169 list or less if you shop around. I sell rebuilt ones for $90.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

Yeah, that is a lot of fuel compared to the timed flow produced by the good old "Zeitschalter". Unless you short on funds get a timer box... If you are short on funds, wire up a momentary pushbutton switch. Search the faq or email me for details.

Good luck,

KC

...do you wash your underpants while wearing them in the shower ? (C.D. - 5/28/2009)

(correction) Four wires go up to the relay. The six wires I have are green/white, brown/black, red/blk, black/white, red/white, black, but all the harness wires are definitely hooked to the relay.

Just pm'd you for one of those rebuilt ones.

Thanks, and thank you KC for the offer.

William

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

If you wouldn't mind satisfying my curiosity, can you tell me which wire color is jumpered to which relay terminal? It would even help to know which of the harness wires are used and which not. Thanks.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

of course...I should have written it down before putting the airbox back. Correction from my previous note: it's a four prong relay, so four wires from the starter valve cable connector have jumpers to the relay:

86 - black

85 - brown/black

30 - green/white

87 - red/white

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

Thanks for humoring me.

That's clever -- it's a step up from the manual pushbutton mod. It runs the start valve during cranking when the coolant temperature is below 35 C (95 F), which is just below the bottom of the blue band on the temp gauge.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators