• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stiff springs question. what kind?

i need to get a hold of very stiff springs that are within an inch of stock ride hight. i have h & R springs lowered 1.25 inches and the car practically floats. they suck. i want really stiff springs. suggestions? thank you

im 20, the 2002 is the most fun car ive ever driven. i have a 74 malaga 2002. engine was rebuilt: bored out to a 2.1, litghtweight pistons, shrick cam, dual weber 40's, msd, custom exhaust. 3.91 lsd, h&r lowering springs. bilstein sport

Check out Ireland Engineering at http://www.iemotorsport.com/ and look at their Stage II springs, they're probably more up your alley, but will lower the car 2" If you are running generic shocks, try Bilstein SPORTS, beefy springs require beefy shock absorbers. And if handling is what you're after, throw in a 22mm sway bar while you're at it. I sure wish I had the cash for one.

How are your swingarm bushings?

If you're willing to let the H&Rs go for cheap drop me a line.

n8hebert at gmail dot com

1975 2002

Gary Fisher 'Ferrous' Mountain Bike

16' Old Town Canoe

honestly i have no idea what struts i have

im 20, the 2002 is the most fun car ive ever driven. i have a 74 malaga 2002. engine was rebuilt: bored out to a 2.1, litghtweight pistons, shrick cam, dual weber 40's, msd, custom exhaust. 3.91 lsd, h&r lowering springs. bilstein sport

i need to get a hold of very stiff springs that are within an inch of stock ride hight. i have h & R springs lowered 1.25 inches and the car practically floats. they suck. i want really stiff springs. suggestions? thank you

That floating feel can be attributed to the dampers/shocks.

What kind of shape is the rest of the suspension in?

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

honestly i have no idea what struts i have

Take a look. Chances are they're worn. Couple that with the increased spring rate of the H&R springs and you get exactly what you describe.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

1974bmw2002,

We need to meet up some time. I live 15 minutes away in havertown. I have the ireland stage II's on my car if you would like to see the ride height in person.

-Andrew

1974 Cinnabar M2: S14/320CR/391LSD/Turbo Exhaust/Turbo Radiator/323 Trailing Arms/Ground Control Coilovers

what struts are you running???

I have H&Rs with adjustable konis, and they are pretty stiff....

agree. h&r's are fairly stiff and worked pretty well on the track with billy hd's. i think op has a dead shock problem.

if all he wants is "stiff" at stock ride height without any apparent regard for handling, he can always go to the local auto parts store and buy a bunch of those spring helpers that go between the coils....

2xM3

Check out Ireland Engineering at http://www.iemotorsport.com/ and look at their Stage II springs, they're probably more up your alley, but will lower the car 2" If you are running generic shocks, try Bilstein SPORTS, beefy springs require beefy shock absorbers. And if handling is what you're after, throw in a 22mm sway bar while you're at it. I sure wish I had the cash for one.

How are your swingarm bushings?

If you're willing to let the H&Rs go for cheap drop me a line.

n8hebert at gmail dot com

I got the Stage II from IE and they did not drop the claimed 2 inches. I barely got a one inch drop. I am also running the Bilstein Sports.

The springs are fairly stiff but not as stiff as I'd like. I still get too much roll. (ST 22/19) I think it's time for a coil-over setup and a bigger sway bar.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

well instead of replacing the H&R's that you have, you should prob consider upgrading to some billys or koni's.

no point in having a stiffer spring rate without imporved dampening to accompany them......

SO... spend your money on new struts, and then report back.

'75 2002

Photobucket

ok so im definatley going with the bilstiens, im running on generic shocks and they suck.

andrew email me at porscheman889@comcast.net. i definately would love to see your car with the springs you have on. email me when you want me to come up to see it. -Spencer