• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazard button flashes when using turn signal

Grover

What year is your 02, and what style of hazard button do you have e.g. push/pull or push in/pop-out?

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!

There's a good chance it's the hazard switch not sitting in the correct OFF position. To check, turn on the right turn signal, then push the hazard button very slowly through it's full range looking for a spot where the turn signal still works but the button light stops flashing. Finding such a spot near the off position confirms it. If that's the problem, you can replace the switch or disassemble the existing switch (very slowly and watching for flying parts) and fiddle with toggle arm. Bend it very slightly in the direction of the pin.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

You might also want to check that the flasher is plugged in the correct way. I have a later style (1 less pin) switch that could be inserted wrong. When I checked the pin positions I had inserted it in wrong.

Unless you or someone else has had it out it and made this error, as stated in the previous post it's probably an internal fault to the normally unconnected side of the switch bulb wiring. In this case it would be terminal marked R (Blue/Black wire) short to the bulb contact. I've attached a wiring diagram that shows this - see flasher switch marked 54.

You might open it up and try and correct the problem, or buy a replacement.

Dave's version w new dash OVERSIZE_WIRING.pdf

Dave's version w new dash OVERSIZE_WIRING.pdf

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!