• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

carb adjusting

svhc253

lots more input please ::

how was it running where it used to live ? (sea level?)

how does it run at it's new home ? (altitude now?)

is this your first 02?

have you driven any other 02's for comparision?

do you know this car has only 80 - 98 HP ?

depending on how lousy the 'tune-up ' is ?

miles on car?

mechanical history ?

how many RPM's will it pull strongly up to ?

getting full throttle opening ? not sure?

do you have experience with carbs?

inquiring minds need to know in order to help you

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous
i just got a 76 from oregon, i am in salt lake city, i am new to 2002s and need some help adjusting the carb. it looks like it has an aftermarket weber carb on it, any help would be great. thanks,

josh

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Carburetor_Set_Up_and_Lean_Best_Idle_Adjustment.htm

It is politically incorrect for me to mention this but somehow you found this site. You might consider perusing the archives and you never know what you might find, including the above answer.

i dont know how it ran in portland, in know it runs well when warmed up, the odometer is broken and it was in pretty poor shape when i got it, i did a tune up on it when i got it spark plugs, wires, points, fuel filter, oil change and replaced the brakes. when warm it will pull revs up to redline but when cold it will bog bad. i have worked with dellorto carbs before, i had a 71 bavaria but this is my first 02.

hi, congrats on the new purchase.

Here's what I would do. In order for me to feel confident that any adjustments I make on the carb will actually be of any help, I'd first start with the ignition.

The car may not need these but to minimize the variables....

NEW-

plugs (correct gap)

wires

cap/rotor/points

alt belt

hoses

flush rad + new thermostat

oil/filter (both filters -fuel and oil)

(keep an eye on the fluids/filters--checking for leaks and any foriegn matter as you put miles on the car)

CHECK

timing (check forum FAQ or search archives for various procedures)

valves (excesive gap creates noise, wear and loss of powah)

**at this point, after working on a car as awesome as the 2002, you may want to check your undies for a fresh pair--maybe you like that and won't want to change da' undies...it's your call**

now you are closer to getting more sure that if you adjust the carb, it will actually do some good and not just chasing your tail...unless of course you like that sort of thing. I like to chase tail too, but my wife's.

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!