• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 steel wheels refurbished & powdercoated - $350

EtOH

BMW 2002 classic stock steel wheels issued 1973 - 1976. Media blasted and powder coated steel silver. Four in the set. New/not used since refurbishment. Before/after photos available. I have put a great amount of time and effort into refurbishing these and want to see them returned to faithful '02 service. I believe them to be of very high quality and condition for 30+ year old wheels and stand by their very good condition. I can have other colors/finishes done as well if your custom car is in need. All are the 4 x 100 bolt pattern 5J x 13H2 classic wheels.

Happy '02ing!

post-14516-13667601767501_thumb.jpg

post-14516-13667601769196_thumb.jpg

post-14516-13667601770771_thumb.jpg

EtOH:

I'm restoring a set of earlier steel wheels. Can you give specifics about the powder coating color? Is "steel silver" the name of the color, and what coating manufacturer was used?

These wheels look great. The color looks a bit darker than the dull aluminum color most are using--- it's closer to the original color of my wheels if I'm to trust your camera and the computer monitor....

Also, my wheels have some pitting-- did yours have that prior to media blast/powdercoating? I'm hoping the process will smooth things out.

Thanks.

jb

Did these myself with a couple of wire brushes, one in a drill and one in a 4inch angle grinder. My Tii had no wheels and these were all I could find at the time so I could get it trailered home.

Sprayed in the garden inside a cardboard box, lol.

bmw02.jpg

bmw06.jpg

They are terribly pitted on the inside - could have filled and sanded them but they are only temporary so just undercoated with a rattle can then top coated with "steel wheel" spray.

If EToh did it right (and I suspect he did) I can confirm there is little/no profit in the asking price. After spending $ to acquire early 5" steels, I put $100 into straightening them and was quoted $250 for strip/powder coat from a reputable shop. Budget tells me I might be media blasting and rattle-canning...

jb

This is expensive and labor intensive. Curb rash, straightening, blasting, coating/sometimes second clear coating are all quite a bit of work/cost. I love doing most of the work myself though because the final product is beautiful and lasts a long time. (These are not "home coated" with a kit, they are professionally, finished!) It's the only way to really do it right and powdercoat keeps the rust localized to only the exposed area with no tunneled rust or pealing. Very durable to weather/sun also. I personally would rather keep these wheels on my cars ('74 & '75A) than any alloy aftermarkets or "upgrades" from later years/models because the finish is remarkable and durable and keeps the original style of the cars that made/makes them legendary. I make pennies/hour for my time and cost in these (degrees are in the sciences, not business or economics!) Not in this for $, just trying to return them to faithful service! If you need some done, let me know, I'll make it as cost effective as possible, even with shipping.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a set of steelies like these in Stanwood, WA. They're in excellent condition -- even have a full set of chintzy plastic beauty rings on them. The car is going to the wrecker soon. If someone up this way wants 'em, bring me a set of junk wheels with tires that hold air and you can have the set of five for $150. The tires look good, but I don't know how old they are, so I would have them thoroughly checked before running on them. Email me if you're interested and I'll send you some pics. noelhiga@gmail.com

Noel