• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steering wheel

boldtu

aluminum or black anodized? If the former, I have one just like it; I think it was made by Personal back in the early 70s (before the spokes had to be dull finished) but I'll have to check mine to see for sure.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

from the factory, not painted. The anodizing can be removed by sanding with fine wet/dry sandpaper, then use a buffing wheel/polish to give it a nice shiny finish. Not difficult, just time consuming. You could also have a shop use a very fine grit to blast the black off and give the aluminum a frosted (non-glare) finish. Or just leave it alone.

As for the wood rim: if the finish is in good shape, leave it alone. If it's really bad, you can sand it down and do a good job of refinishing with a spray can of urethane varnish. Lowes/Home Depot has it in the paint department--get high gloss, clear urethane. You need to mask off the spokes and hub, do four or five coats and let it dry for a week or so to get good and hard.

Nice wheel, BTW--I have a nearly identical one with polished spokes on my '69.

cheers

mike

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite