• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right hand drive and urethane steering guibos

Is anyone with a right hand drive 2002 using a urethane guibo?. If so have you had any problems with it?.

Why I ask, is that the one in my rally car failed just before I went out on to the local racetrack. I looks to me as if the urethane has been softened by the heat from the exhaust enough so that the studs pulled througth it.

The unit hasn't been in the car that long and has had limited use so it's not like it's worn out.

This should not be a RHD only thing. The downpipe is formed differently to miss the steering column but where (position) it meets up with centre silencer is the same RHD or LHD.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The STEERING flex coupler is on the other side of the motor, from the downpipe/header, on left hand drive cars.

Oh, steering! ok, as you were.

Due to leave China end of March Bill. Weighing my options (ie out of work). Hope to make it to Bo's do in AR or/and V@V.

Busy trying to organise a Superbowl party here (being a Brit, it is not easy!!!)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Nobody ?.

I've done a bit of research that suggests that the safe working temperature of nitrile rubber can be up to 40°C higher than polyurethane (although it depends on the exact composition).

So I'm going back to a stock coupling, I did two and half seasons on a 30 year old stock coupling and five events on a urethane one.

It also turns out that the local dealer has one for about the same price as what it will cost me to import another urethane one from the US.